first time on a 14' pole

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
duhcalvin
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Open vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'

first time on a 14' pole

Unread postby duhcalvin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 pm

So at my first track meet this season the coach there let me borrow two 14' poles, a 155, and a 160. I was using a 12'6" pacer. today (at optional spring break practice) I was getting vertical but my ol faithful pole was mushing out so i decided since i was warmed up that i would see what i could do on the 14 155. I ran from 6 lefts holding at about 12'6" and was able to plant but i definitely stalled out. I was too afraid to move my handgrip up but i knew at the same time that it would take some of the stifness out of the pole if i gripped higher and i would potentially penetrate further. I'm not really sure what to do, i know i have done all i can on my current pole and these 2 14' poles are all i have to work with that are above my 12'6" 160lb. I suppose what i am asking is for a method to work my way onto the new pole. should i grip at 13' or 13'6 and run from seven lefts? I know i can get on it it is just completely different and i need to know the best method for learning how to use it.. I'm so ready to do it!
State of mind is everything

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: first time on a 14' pole

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:27 pm

The higher you hold, the more energy it takes to rotate the pole into the pit. It might bend more but you're not likely to land deeper. If you're stalling out, you need to hold LOWER.

12'6 160 to a 14'155 is like going from a 12'6 160 to a 12'6 185. It's a LOT bigger. You may not be able to make that transition safely. Maybe you should try using your 12'6 pole from 4 or 5 lefts until you can find a 13' pole to use.

duhcalvin
PV Wannabe

Unread postby duhcalvin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 pm

thats my problem, i have these three poles. nothing else not now not for the rest of the season, so what should i do in my circumstances? because i'm ready to go out there and hold 13'6" and run from 7 lefts and give it a try.
here are some figures so you know kind of what im working with
i am 6'0.5" tall
150lbs
i have long arms
i have no idea how fast i am but i would say 12.8 100 or so (last year) so maybe a little lower.
i have been on the current pole i am using for my entire vaulting career and my coach said i can not go any higher on it because it is soo soft (i have a volunteer pv coach one day a week) he has not been to practice while ive had these poles and i was eager to try them. so i just want pv power's input (i like as many aspects and as much advice as i can get)

duhcalvin
PV Wannabe

Unread postby duhcalvin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:17 pm

so i watched the video of me tryin to use the new pole, and i realized i had plenty of forward momentum until i swing my hips right past the pole. so i know at least for next time to try and stay behind the pole because i think that is what killed the vault

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Don't try using new poles when you don't have a coach there. It sounds like you're trying to kill yourself.

ANY time you try a new pole, you should not swing on the first jump. If you swing, you put your body in a bad position if something goes wrong. If you stay upright, then even if you get rejected or whatever, you can get your feet underneath you and avoid a catastrophic injury.

Use your 12'6 pole from a shorter run and keep working on improving your technique. See if you can borrow a 13' pole at your next meet that has other vaulters.

duhcalvin
PV Wannabe

Unread postby duhcalvin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:57 pm

i had three coaches there but none of them were a vault coach, also i did not intentionally swing the pole just got the best of me (first time ever trying it) there is not going to be a meet with anyone that has a 13' pole i can borrow either. (rural area) i will continue to try and improve my technique but seein how i jumped 12' on the pole i have already (and like i said it is very mushy) i need a different pole and the 14's are all i have. I have been continuing to practice on it but i'm still going to try and work onto the 14 because it is all i have access to. i understand you want me to use some pole in between 12'6" and 14'' but i just don't have access to one, and the 12'6" is the only other pole i have that will hold me besides a 13' 190 ucs we have and an 11' 170 ucs (i've used this one occasionally)

PoleVaultGovs
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby PoleVaultGovs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:12 pm

a pole vault pole is only around 300-500 dollars. Im sure your family or your coach could get you one. It will take a long time to develop the right teqnique on a small pole that your mashing through. my advice would be to get a 13 160 or a 13 6 155. Then gradually move up to the 14s. the 14 ft poles are a HUGE jump from a 12 6 pole.

Nolan
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.12m
Favorite Vaulter: Stevenson

Unread postby Nolan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:17 pm

I went straight from a 12'6 to a 14', but my 12'6 was 160 and the 14' was 140. I pr'd by 15 inches on that glorious day.

PoleVaultGovs
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby PoleVaultGovs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:38 pm

nice job

jbelokur
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 9
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby jbelokur » Fri May 13, 2011 1:49 pm

I was in the same situation when I was in HS. I started vaulting on a 12' 120-140 pole (I know the weight sounds weird but that is what it was rated for). By the time I started increasing my speed and confidence with bending the pole I was getting next to no real lift. I remember it feeling like I was just mushing right through the pit. My school bought me a 14' 145# pole. I was gripping at 13' 6". My big problems as I remember back was getting too far under at plant. I remember almost reaching with my left foot on the final stride because my mind was so used to taking off closer. By the way, I was 125-130# during this time. If you have someone there to spot you, I would suggest just to keep after it and get your planting position down again with the increased distance from the box. Then just go for it. Studder steps and pussing out at the end will kill you every time. I didn't have a coach either and only had what the rural school just happened to have, and when they finally bought me a pole if was not really for me but for vaulters in the future which included me so I know what you are going through. Get on Youtube and watch, get on sites like these and learn all you can and take advantage of good vaulters you encounter at meets. Don't be shy learn from where ever you can. Best of luck!
Last edited by jbelokur on Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duhcalvin
PV Wannabe

Unread postby duhcalvin » Fri May 13, 2011 10:19 pm

well just to let everyone know i p'r'd by a bit on my ol pole, got 12'6" on my 12'6" then today at practice i got out the 14 ran back a 7 step (never taken seven before) holding at 13'2" i'd say on my 155 14' ran planted tall flew and landed dead center of the mat, but i have day 2 of districts tomorrow (day one was thurs we had a gap day for some reason) so i didnt take anymore jumps. but unfortunatly day one of districts was yesterday and i only jumped 11'6" because i followed rainbowgirls advice to jump on a stiffer 13 but i just couldnt swing fast enough. only got 11'6" and barely qualified to go to state. but after jumping on the 14 today i feel so confident it went so well. i'm glad i moved my run back. state is this friday i'll let you know how it goes.

jbelokur
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 9
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby jbelokur » Sat May 14, 2011 1:31 pm

May I ask what grade you are in?

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”