How to practice with no pit?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
ctvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby ctvaulter » Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:11 pm

i agree, while in the cold we are more vulnerable for injuries. in killer heat there is always water

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:43 pm

yeah, but it's easier to warm up then cool down...more people die in heat then cold...
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:39 am

cold definitely tougher. I've vaulted in 100 degree heat, and yeah it was bad but vaulting when there's a flake or two of snow coming down is a ton tougher. very hard to warm up, even harder to stay warmed up, hands freeze and you loose the ability to grip....risk for injury is greater. I'll choose the heat any day over the cold. :yes:
"Heart"

AmyPoleVault
PV Fan

Unread postby AmyPoleVault » Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:53 pm

Vaulting in the rain is fun :D
When the hurdles in life get to high... grab a pole

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:49 pm

i have to agree about vaulting in heat over cold. last year during indoor track, since we dont actually have an indoor track to use we have to run almost all of our meets outside. polar bear meets they absolutly suck! i hated having to put on all these layers of clothing and then taking them off every time i had to vault and then putting them back on again after i had finished...not too much fun. but i'm def. not saying that i like vaulting in the hot weather either! :)
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:50 pm

any more ideas that might help me? :idea: i have ONE day to get my steps right and do all of this next week. that's it. just one day. so anything that i could do at home w/ out a pole would be of great help. :yes: that sounds weird but i really need it. thanks

xtremevaulter

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:31 pm

AmyPoleVault wrote:Vaulting in the rain is fun :D

Amy you said it vaulting in the rain rocks! I tend to do really good in the rain. I have a routine for rain vaulting. Maybe some day I will reveal my secret.

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:08 pm

nooo! i'm desparate!! i didn't even get to get my steps today and i could really use any advice! ANYTHING! pleeeeaase help me. this meet is tommorow and i am so screwed here. :dazed:

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:04 am

Here is some advice. Don't jump. HA HA!!!!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:02 pm

PvaultinGirl wrote:nooo! i'm desparate!! i didn't even get to get my steps today and i could really use any advice! ANYTHING! pleeeeaase help me. this meet is tommorow and i am so screwed here. :dazed:

OK when you go to the meet just start out on a 3 step, and when you get that down go back to 4... and so on.

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:02 pm

oh that was so funny, lonpvh. thanks really. :( anyways, thanks to everyone who gave real advice i did soooooo much better than i ever thought i would. i qualified for state champs. and placed 2nd overall. :yes: thank you very much! :)

ctvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby ctvaulter » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:18 pm

how do you grip the pole in the rain? last time i slipped off the pole and the meet was canceled

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”