What's your favorite/least favorite drill

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Robert schmitt
PV Lover

What's your favorite/least favorite drill

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:40 pm

I've been curious what your favorite dirll is and why because it is fun :P , it really helped you understand the vault :idea: , or for any other reason.

Also, what drill do you dread doing :eek: and why??

When I was in college my favorite thing was to walk into the indoor track and see the infield covered with four pits. That meaned we were rope vaulting :yes: We had a hydrolic scaffold that we could adjust the hieght on. I just loved flying over a bungee at 19' :D we put it at 20' a few times but no one had an honest clearence unless we raised the scaffolding when coach wasn't looking :devil:

My least fav was running stairs with 25# sand bags for 20min :no:

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:32 am

I would have to say that rope vaulting is the most fun, followed by gymnastics (especially high bar), then underwater vaulting. I think the most helpful drills for me though are swingover pop-ups (some people call them rockbacks).

My least favorite drills are walking plant drills, but they also helped a lot.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:04 am

least favorite here was definately the walking plants. Very crucial drills but so very boring.

most favorite is the gymnastics room drills, highbar, rings, walking on hands, trying to do handstand pushups unassisted in the middle of the floor. Lots of fun in there.

I can't wait to get back to it!!!!
"Heart"

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:53 pm

my favorite is getting used to being in the air...(i.e. jumping off high things!!!!)....anyone who has ever been to luling, tx. with us can agree!

least favorite....plyos...dang shin killers!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”