Pole Transition

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Vaultingman
PV Newbie

Re: Pole Transition

Unread postby Vaultingman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 pm

You need to vault with 12ft 130Lbs pole then 12ft 135Lbs or 13ft 120Lbs, then move to 13ft 130Lbs onto 13ft 135Lbs all holding at the top of pole.
The difference in pole size is too great a step for you, changing poles should only happen when the old pole is soft and stops giving something back.
Try jumping into a sand pit using the old pole off six or eight strides pushing to the back of the pit and see how high you can hold before stalling out.
This drill encourages high top arm action and strong jumping from the ground.
My vaulters get good results using short stiff poles ( greater than body weight)before moving onto longer soft poles

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Vaultingman wrote:You need to vault with 12ft 130Lbs pole then 12ft 135Lbs or 13ft 120Lbs, then move to 13ft 130Lbs onto 13ft 135Lbs all holding at the top of pole.
The difference in pole size is too great a step for you, changing poles should only happen when the old pole is soft and stops giving something back.
Try jumping into a sand pit using the old pole off six or eight strides pushing to the back of the pit and see how high you can hold before stalling out.
This drill encourages high top arm action and strong jumping from the ground.
My vaulters get good results using short stiff poles ( greater than body weight)before moving onto longer soft poles

When you go from the 12' pole to the 13' pole, don't hold the top of the 13' pole right away! Raising your grip a foot is never a good idea. Move your grip straight across then go up maybe a fist max. If you have good penetration on that jump then keep working it up a few inches at a time.

Vaultingman
PV Newbie

Unread postby Vaultingman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:01 pm

Yes sorry forgot that bit about moving same hand grip across then move up small amounts. That is why going greater poundage first ,then move across at the same hand grip to new longer pole.
The other way would be to use a raised runway to get used to the way the pole feels but when you do away with the raised run up not sure what would happen unless a decrease in hand grip would work!

ramenvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter

Unread postby ramenvaulter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.
Right now my coach has me on a 13ft4in "training pole" at 140.
Will that help me transition into the 14ft 130lb Spirit?
PR:12ft
GOAL FOR THIS YEAR:14ft

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:24 pm

Yes. Once you can comfortably grip at the top of that, you should be able to easily get on the 14' 130.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

ramenvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter

Unread postby ramenvaulter » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:24 am

This topic has been dead for awhile and I would like to bring it back because i have new circumstances.
I recently found a 150lb Pacer 13ft in our shed and I was curious if that would be a better pole to use to transition from my 13ft 125lb spirit to my 14ft 130lb spirit?
PR:12ft
GOAL FOR THIS YEAR:14ft

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:25 am

ramenvaulter wrote:This topic has been dead for awhile and I would like to bring it back because i have new circumstances.
I recently found a 150lb Pacer 13ft in our shed and I was curious if that would be a better pole to use to transition from my 13ft 125lb spirit to my 14ft 130lb spirit?

Yes, that would probably be better. A 13'150 is roughly the same as a 14'130 if you grip them both at 13', but on the 14' pole you are holding further down into the sail piece, so the 13' pole would probably react better.

It's still a 25lb jump in poles though, so make sure you don't move up until you are ready.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”