Vaulting in the COLD?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
colby41
PV Fan

Vaulting in the COLD?

Unread postby colby41 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:42 am

50 degree temperatures, gusty winds, and rain are difficult conditions for someone who usually vaults in warm weather. I had a meet a couple of weeks ago in these conditions and i was a mess...

the pole vault can last over two hours, and staying warm throughout these conditions, and then de-layering when its time to vault, is quite the shock. anyone got suggestions that could help?
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: Vaulting in the COLD?

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:08 am

Sounds like most of the Minnesota track season. I have my kids wear long under amour on top and bottom. That seems to help them if they have a sweatshirt and a wind suit. A hat and gloves are nice too. I've also seen kids with sleeping bags.
Chris Milton

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:19 am

every 30 minutes or so go jog a lap. It will warm you up and get your lungs ready for heavy breathing in the cold. It will ease the transition into the cold, but eventually you gotta lose the sweats and hope the shot of adrenaline (which for me is greater in the cold) powers you through.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:24 pm

my shin splits keep my from running laps so I might just need to roll the stationary bike out to the track. Haha.

Is it bad to get TOO warm, making it a greater difference in temp when I take my layers off?
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

sivaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby sivaulter » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:59 pm

move to California!!

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Haha, I'm actually from Hawaii. So i usually worry about the sun...
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:36 pm

I can't say much since it isn't REALLY cold where I live in indoor...okay, at least not during this season, last season was pretty cold...I usually wear underarmour-like long-sleeve shirts and leggings. If its really cold, you could bring mittens to change out of between vaults. Also, I wear knee-high socks [the thick ones...fuzzy socks or just not the really thing ones] and if its super cold you could bring a blanket. I've done that at many meets, esp. last season. My mother once brought 2-3 blankets and they were all greatly appreciated. :) Hope it helps.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:46 am

50 degrees is cold?

Wear the warm ups between vaults and keep a space heater near by for your hands.

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:32 pm

50 degrees isn't REALLY cold obv. but if its windy it could be. Like I said, I usually wear underarmour-type leggings and shirt under my other clothes. Wind doesn't get through easily AND the fabric type helps prevent mat burn on my elbows [which I get decently often when vaulting]. I even wear that kind of shirt, long sleeve or 3/4 length, to prevent it during the outdoor season when its warm.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 am

The boys I train, jumps in sometimes freezing conditions. Unheated track (or rather extremely inadequate), and we had -6 deg celsius last week. They learn to stay warm.

Made the newbie mistake of using low temp vaulting as a measuring stick for buying new poles. :o

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:41 pm

For me, my hands are the biggest problem. Not necessarily the coldness in them (but that's no good either), but the dryness makes it tough to grip...

Any solutions other than just breathing on the hands?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:19 pm

keep them warm, it helps with the dryness.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”