dropping shoulders

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
spill21
PV Nerd

dropping shoulders

Unread postby spill21 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:33 pm

My biggest problem right now is that I can't get fully inverted because I'm not sure how to drop my shoulders. I've been told that the best way to do this is at the end of the drive phase to snap your head all the way back, that doesn't work. So does any body have any suggestions or drills or somethin I can do to get inverted? thanks in advance
J Spillman goes higher...

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:56 pm

ive always been told to drop my sholders too, but i try to think of it diffrently. Your are not really dropping your sholders, your hips are going up. Its kind of like doing a deadlift, but instead of picking up the weight, you are pushing the floor away from you.

the biggest way i figured this out was simple pull up bar drills where you start holding onto the bar and put your ankles up to the bar. then straighten out so that your feet go up and your head goes down.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: dropping shoulders

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:12 am

spill21 wrote:I've been told that the best way to do this is at the end of the drive phase to snap your head all the way back, that doesn't work.

Yeah, that is a really good way to lose sense of where you are in the air and get hurt.

AR01
PV Whiz

Unread postby AR01 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:47 am

I would get on a high bar and do some bubkas. That's what VaultPurple's talking about.

http://www.polevaultpower.com/media/vid ... bubkas.mov

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Re: dropping shoulders

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:49 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
spill21 wrote:I've been told that the best way to do this is at the end of the drive phase to snap your head all the way back, that doesn't work.

Yeah, that is a really good way to lose sense of where you are in the air and get hurt.

Definitely, keep that chin tucked in and keep looking toward the sky. Imagine a fulcrum of sorts going through your chest, as your hips thrust vertically your shoulders drop back aligning your body.
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:40 am

'Ive been told that the best way to do this is at the end of the drive phase to snap your head all the way back, that doesn't work."

Indeed it doesnt and will lead to many other problems. Sorry to keep advertising but there are resources out there which will help you get a clear picture of the whole vault and which deal in detail with the issue you raise. Simple - go to neovault.com and get a copy of the dvd From Beginner to Bubka and IZZy too". it answers that question and a lot of others too. You do not even have to be able to read big words -clearly a reason why many folk on this site have yet to buy the book. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”