sliding?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
ALYpolevault
PV Nerd

sliding?

Unread postby ALYpolevault » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:28 pm

ive been vaulting for a year now. i was practicing at a nearby school on their indoor pit and everytime i went up my hands slid on my pole. ive never had this problem before. does anyone know why all of a sudden this has become a problem and/or how to fix it?
im on a 110 spirt
cheat on your boyfriend
NOT your workout <3

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:36 pm

You know this year I had the same problem when I got back from my 5 month vaulting hiatus. Did you just start back up? Or did this just happen all of a sudden after training for a few weeks? Where are you gripping? That's a major factor, as well as the tape job. Technique issues could include the plant, run, and especially take-off. I find that when I slip, it's because I'm gripping too high/not taking off powerfully enough.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:52 pm

sometimes it happens when your taking off under
pain is only temporary victory is forever

ALYpolevault
PV Nerd

Unread postby ALYpolevault » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:41 pm

i really just started back up. we dont have a coach for the indoor season so ive had to take off for awhile. ive pretty much tried moving my grip around everywhere but i cant quite get it right.
cheat on your boyfriend

NOT your workout <3

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:46 pm

I'd maybe start back at the bottom of the progression. You know, one step sand vaulting, two steps, three in the sand, long swings or popups in the pit, 4 step, etc... It's just the fact that you haven't done this complex event for a long time, so your bound to forget. Vaulting isn't like riding a bike. I remember that at the start of indoor, I hadn't vaulted in 5 months, and instead of working my way back up from the basics, I started gripping near the top of a pole that is still WAY too big for me, and 20 pounds over my weight. My average vault height went from 11' back down around 8'. You've just got to shake it off and remind yourself of all the little bits of technique.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

ALYpolevault
PV Nerd

Unread postby ALYpolevault » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:50 pm

thanks. ill remember that.
cheat on your boyfriend

NOT your workout <3

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”