Take-Off and Reverse-C Suggestions?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
flyingfish12
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 3.65m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Eliza McCartney

Re: Take-Off and Reverse-C Suggestions?

Unread postby flyingfish12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 am

I just wanted to update where I am today and thank Kirk for his help again. Here is the video of my fall training, which was a lot of sliding box! But I went from no reverse C to a pronounced reverse C, and it is starting to show up in my actual take-off when I am vaulting -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-4BG0Uht6U

Thank you again for you help, and thank you Pole Vault Power! :)

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 am

flyingfish12 wrote:I just wanted to update where I am today and thank Kirk for his help again. ... Thank you again for you help, and thank you Pole Vault Power! :)

You're welcome, Monica.

You have made very noticeable improvement!

One thing I'd like you to try ...

Once you jump to the split, try landing on your takeoff foot instead of your lead knee foot. I think that will give you a better body posture throughout the drill. At least that's how I did it, so it worked for me. The other thing is that you should try to jump harder off the ground. I don't mean to plant your foot like a highjumper would to jump harder. I mean more like a long jumper (keeping the forward momentum - without braking).

What is your longjump PR? Whatever it is, I recommend that you work on some pure longjumping (if you don't already do that event). The reason I ask for your PR is so that you know what it is today; then every month or two try to break your PR. With the hard training you've been doing (which I assume you'll continue to do), it will be a good boost to your ego when you see your LJ PR go up. And with that, I would expect that your PV PR would go up too.

Good luck.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

mtisfullofit
PV Newbie
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby mtisfullofit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 am

When i look at the vault you have you look under you lose a lot of your energy as your body and top arm collapse to the pole....Pole separation will help you. when you slide box drill in your last video it looks on you want to keep that separation forcing that pole to bend. as soon as you do that you will be on it. Planting under is a very common thing for vaulters and if you have been doing it for awhile it will feel natural. Most vaulters that i have worked with always comment on how it feels awkward and out at first when fixing this. In reality the are right on. Have someone video you so you can seen it for yourself......this helps. I would rather see a vaulter a bit out than in. You do have a good swing and are close to "hitting" it. Measure out your step and have someone listen to you cadence to see if they hear what sounds like a slower last 2 steps. reaching with the last steps as they start the pole drop is something that i see a lot with bad habit vaulting. You have to fix this if this is your case.

mtisfullofit
PV Newbie

Unread postby mtisfullofit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 am

ok so in the last clip of you vaulting inside you went to your shins and then stopped? you needed to row through. We teach pole vaulting in steps because of all that jumpers have to learn and take in but in reality it all needs to be one smooth continuous motion smooth and in time with the pole. As soon as a vaulter stops working the pole the pole unloads. keep working that pole when you get to your shins so it is one continuous motion

mtisfullofit
PV Newbie

Unread postby mtisfullofit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:07 am

keeping the pole moving when you are inverted with a rowing motion will help you keep the pole close to your body on the top end when you move to finish. you lose the pole a bit on the top end because of it. move the pole and Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”