Forearm Bruises

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
wildemsr
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steven Hooker

Forearm Bruises

Unread postby wildemsr » Mon May 03, 2010 10:15 pm

So I was vaulting from a 4 step today and I realized every time I jumped my forearm bruise was getting worse and worse. I mean I have had the bruise since forever but it was mainly from straight pole rock backs and stuff; I had never felt it from a full jump until today. Recently I did make some progress with my inversion. I used to not have a full swing because I couldn't commit and would look at the bar, but lately I have been getting back a lot better! :)

Anyways my question is: Is it common to get forearm bruises from full vaults? Can I consider this a good thing because it means I am getting back far enough and staying close to the pole?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Forearm Bruises

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 am

wildemsr wrote: Is it common to get forearm bruises from full vaults? Can I consider this a good thing because it means I am getting back far enough and staying close to the pole?

Yes, I think this is common. My memory is vague on this, but I think I had the same problem in the 14-15 foot range. I think it went away at 16'+. Once you extend more in time with the pole straightening it should go away. Meanwhile, wear a pad.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 am

I tend to feel it when I am jumping from a short run with a tiny pole that I can move on really easily. But with more fiber glass between me and the box the angle of the pole bend and my bottom hand is great enough that my arm passes without a problem.

Meanwhile when you vault long enough that bruise sort of becomes permanent... At this point in my career my bruise has become a bump. The skin on this bump has been affected enough that it started to grow hair. (gross right?) So if you look at the arm hair, hair line, from my wrist, their is a clear deviation that engulfs this bump/bruise, but not on the other arm.... Strange no...

-bel

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm

This is very common. Mine is actually a scar and used to bleed every time I jumped. If it bothers you to much you can cut the sleeve from a wet suit and slide it over that part of your arm. In high school before I learned to break my elbow in the same thing would happen to the side of my body.
--Kasey

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:21 pm

we refer to this as the "Mark of the BA". Like what Kirk said, when you start to extend more it'll go away.

wildemsr
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Steven Hooker

Unread postby wildemsr » Tue May 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Ok cool. And after thinking about it I realized that it does indeed only happen when I'm on a soft pole and short approach. I need to start getting on bigger poles anyways, my 14'6" 170 isn't doing justice anymore...

twistpv
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby twistpv » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:56 am

Tincup1215 wrote:we refer to this as the "Mark of the BA".

i dont think you could have put it any better :yes: :yes:
(coach)Why did you run through?(me)Ummm.........cross wind?(coach)"Oh okay"

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:20 am

It's definitely a "soft pole " thing. The good news is that you're hitting a good position at the top of your vault. The bad news is that the pole you're on doesn't come out quick enough to keep your forearm from staying connected with it and that's why it's bruising. Do as suggested above and buy a forearm pad and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:40 am

good morning

[quote]The good news is that you're hitting a good position at the top of your vault.[/quote]

great point... but the way to correct is to swing faster and have the hips higher above the top hand "when" you are inverted.. in other words have the top grip at the groin area when you are inverted.. and not at the knees and then invert... the only real down side of a tuck and shooter is this position. timing it can create issues of consistency.. where as a "continuous swinger" will time itself by loading and unloading the pole by a fast continuous swing..

it's a matter of physics and angles... when i suggested to tully he have his hips 6 inches higher "when" he "closed the gap" between the body and the pole (on the swing/inversion) he went more vertical by 4 to 6 inches.

this "closing the gap" has also been referred to as "covering the arc of the pole...

it's all in the speed and ending position on the swing.........

swing faster with the hips “ending” higher at inversion and most if not all of the pressure with miss the wrist.

dj

ps but use a pad... the bruise will make you alter technique and possibly get injured

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”