Grand Haven Beach Vault July 14-16

A forum to discuss anything related to Michigan

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:54 pm

This weekends Grand haven Beach Vault was another success !!!!!! From a spectator / athletes point of view they had a large croud of spectators, good tail winds, fast runway, great weather, good swimming, and lot's of great vaulters. Everyone should experience one of Kevin and Dave's beach vaults - it is a blast. Thank's guys, you did another wonderfull job again this year - We were already talking on the way home about who we could talk into going with us next year to vault !!!!!!!! :yes: "The Missouri Travelers"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:48 pm

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grpress/ind ... xml&coll=6

Veterans enjoy Grand Haven pole-vault event
Sunday, July 16, 2006
By Jeff Chaney
The Grand Rapids Press
GRAND HAVEN -- Howard Booth doesn't let his age keep him down.

The 62-year-old Gregory resident won the men's 60-64 age group at the Grand Haven Beach Vault at City Beach on Saturday with a leap of 10 feet.

That effort came one day after he set the state record in his age group at the Michigan Senior Olympics in Kalamazoo with a 10-foot vault.

Booth, who competed at Eastern Michigan University in the mid-1960s, wasn't the only veteran participant at the beach Saturday. Gary Hunter, the world record holder in the over-50 age group, won the 50-54 division with a vault of 14-6.

Hunter, of Fort Wayne, Ind., holds the world record at 15-7.

"Pole vaulting is fun to do," Hunter said. "It's healthy, and this a great venue to come and jump. I hope they keep doing this."

Rockford pole vault coach Kevin Patterson and East Kentwood boys track coach Dave Emeott also enjoy the event that started five years ago.

Jeremy Scott and Andrea Pickens each won $500 first prizes for winning the elite divisions.

Scott, of Norfolk, Neb., and trains with Bell Athletics in Jonesboro, Ark., won with a vault of 17-6.

"This is a great atmosphere," said Pickens, who won with a 13-6. "In the South we have events like this, but they are run on streets. This is great to have it here and be so close to the water -- I'm going to take a dip now."

Dianna Noonan did the same after winning the college women's division. The Grand Valley State student won with a vault of 12 feet.

There was a large contingent of Grand Valley vaulters Saturday, including Rockford's Bethany Hecksel and Calvin Christian's Rachel Duthler.

"This is fun for us," Noonan said. "Four of our six jumpers took part."

Other masters winners included Saugatuck's John Lamb (men's 71-74, 7-6), Ann Arbor's Geoffrey Gerstner (men's 45-49, 10-6), Chicago's Joe Gianneschi (men's 35-39, 13-0), Chicago's Joel Sterk (men's 30-34, 12-6) and Indianapolis' Karen Rieger (women's 40-44, 8-6).

In the college men's division, Jason Scott of Cedarville (Ohio) College jumped 16-5. Brian Hancock of Monroe City, Mo., won the high school boys elite division (16-0) and Katie Veith of Fort Wayne, Ind., won the high school girls' elite division (12-0).

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:50 pm

Beach a haven for pole vaulters
Saturday, July 15, 2006
By Jeff Chaney
The Grand Rapids Press
GRAND HAVEN -- The increased nationwide popularity of the Grand Haven Beach Vault was evident Friday.

Of the eight age-group divisions that hit the two pole vault runways at the 5th annual Beach Vault at Grand Haven City Beach, only one was won by an area vaulter.

Ada's Brad Schweitzer won the Division 1 title in the 15-16 age group with a jump of 11 feet, 6 inches.

Schweitzer, who a sophomore on Forest Hills Central's boys track team last spring, was competing in his first Beach Vault and reached a personal-best height.

"This was a good experience," Schweitzer said. "The runway was a lot springier, and that helped. It was pretty cool all around."

Stephanie Chin, of Bloomington, Ind., and set a record in the girls 17-18 age group with a jump of 12 feet.

"I liked this a lot," Chin said. "To spend the day at the beach and then to vault there, too, that's great."

Chin edged Rockford's Christi Kettelhut for the championship. Kettelhut originally set the record with a leap of 11-6, but was tied and then passed by Chin on the next height.

"Eleven-six was OK," Kettelhut said. "I was just crashing my poles all day. I needed to use a bigger pole, and I think I am going to do that (today)."

Kettelhut, along with Chin also will be take part in the high school elite division which runs later today.

Also competing today are the masters, college open and elite jumpers.

Elyria, Ohio's Ian Oskins won the championship in the Division 1 boys 17-18 age group with a jump of 12-6 Friday, and will be return today to watch his father, Keith, jump in the masters division.

"I love this event," Ian Oskins said. "This is the greatest pole vaulting experience I have ever had. I can't wait to come back next year."

Other winners Friday were Jacob Elbers of Reese in the 14-under boys with a jump of 10-6; Shelby Franklin of Monroe City, Mo. in the 14-under girls division with a jump of 11-0; Ann Arbor's Rebecca Pilkerton in the girls 15-16 with a jump of 11-0; Marine City's Joe Wesley in the boys 12-16 Division 2 with a leap of 14-6 and Brian Hancock of Monroe City, Mo. in the boys 17-18 Division 2 with a leap of 16-6.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:03 pm

Older article I was too busy to post before:

Popular beach vault grows in stature
Thursday, July 13, 2006
By Steve Kaminski
The Grand Rapids Press
Kevin Patterson was driving along one summer day last year when his cell phone rang, and he was in for a pleasant shock.

The caller advised Patterson to hurry home and turn on ESPN's "SportsCenter" ASAP. Patterson is the co-founder of the annual Grand Haven Beach Vault, and his event had made it to the big-time.

"It was featured on ESPN's Top 10 Plays of the Day," said Patterson, of Rockford. "It was a Monday morning and someone called and told me we were on ESPN, and I said, 'No way, get out of here.' I hurried home and there we were. They played it all day long."

The rest of the nation found out that day what area pole vaulters have known for quite some time, now. Grand Haven has a pretty special event.

The fifth annual Beach Vault is returning Friday and Saturday to Grand Haven City Beach, and it will offer competition for men and women, as well as youths. Patterson said he expects about 225 entries this year, which would be an all-time high for the event.

While the Beach Vault will attract vaulters from the Great Lakes region, as well as Canada, Patterson said he is expecting competitors from as far away as Missouri, Texas, Oregon and Arkansas.

"I think there are a couple of factors why it has become so popular," Patterson said. "Number one, it's location. We don't realize how blessed we are to have Lake Michigan and that beach right here. We take it for granted. People have small lakes or rivers and they come up and see this great beach and pristine town, and they start planning vacations around this event.

'Largest and the best'

"We are pretty unique. We are one of the few beach vaults in the nation, and we are the largest and the best. Others have it in a festival or a city vault. But they don't have the West Michigan shoreline or the weather. Knock on wood, we have had pretty good weather."

The entry deadline has passed, but competitors still can sign up. The fee is $58, which includes a $10 late fee, since the original deadline was June 30. Action begins Friday with the boys and girls division, 14 & under, at 10 a.m. Competition will continue Friday with divisions for 15 & 16 and 17 & 18.

A Masters class opens Saturday's round at 9:30 a.m., followed by a College/Open Women class at 11 a.m. Action continues with Elite at 1 p.m., and the top 12 earn cash prizes in that class. College Open Men and High School Elite Men follow at 3 p.m. and the High School Elite Women wrap up the meet at 5 p.m.

"A buddy of mine, Dave (Emeott) of East Kentwood High School, and I put this on," Patterson said. "Our first event was a street event in Rockford. We asked all the kids, 'Where would you like to go next?' and they said 'Let's go to the beach.' We said 'Yes, we can do that.'

"We got the permits and pulled it off the first year, and it kept growing."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Another article from a few days ago:

Bar raised for Grand Haven Beach Vault
Thursday, July 13, 2006
By Jeff Chaney
The Grand Rapids Press
The climbing number of participants keeps raising the bar for the Grand Haven Beach Vault.

When Rockford pole vault coach Kevin Patterson and East Kentwood coach Dave Emeott first started the friendly pole-vault competition on Grand Haven City Beach five years ago, it was a one-day and one-runway event that drew 75 jumpers to the pole vault pit built on the Lake Michigan sand. Those jumpers were mostly from West Michigan.

This year's Beach Vault, which begins Friday and ends Saturday, will have nearly 220 participants from all over the United States competing on two runways.

Advertisement

The high school and junior jumpers take to the sand beginning at 10 a.m Friday. The Saturday lineup consists of masters, college and elite jumpers and begins at 9:30 a.m.

"The best surprise is the number of out-of-state competitors that make this a family vacation," Patterson said. "It really has become a true event.

"With us living here, we don't realize the treasure we have with the lake and the nice sand. People from Missouri, Arkansas and Georgia, who compete in the Beach Vault, they tell us how nice the lake is and what a great event it is.

It is that word of mouth, and an appearance on ESPN last year, that is pushing the number of jumpers to a limit.

Second runway added

Last year Patterson added the second runway and a second day. Another runway or day of competition would be needed if the numbers continues to climb.

"Adding another runway was the only way to handle the increased demand," Patterson said. "We can get a little bigger, but not much bigger. We would have to go to three days if we got larger, and counting on three days of good weather is tough. The other thing would be to go to three runways, and that is a major chore."

Some of the top competitors coming this year are Jeremy Scott and Dub Jones of Bell Athletics in Arkansas. Scott has cleared 18 feet, 5 inches, while Jones has jumped 17-8.

Former Forest Hills Central and current Grand Valley jumper Scott Levering has competed in the first four Beach Vaults, and plans on taking part in every one from here on out.

"Pole vault in the area has really grown because of Kevin and Dave Emeott," Levering said. "They get kids really fired up about pole vaulting, and it shows with this.

"It is a really fun sport; they say you can catch the pole vault bug. Pole vaulting is a huge sport. If you don't know anything about it, it will mean nothing to you, but there is a big network out there."

Other college athletes competing are Grand Valley's Rachel Duthler (Calvin Christian) and Bethany Hecksel (Rockford) and Central Michigan's Janine Rosloniec (Rockford) and Stacey Schaeffer (Coopersville)

Sparta's Lisa Krupp, who will jump at Western Michigan this year, will compete in her last high school division jump. She is the defending two-time Division 2 state champion in the event.

"I'm not surprised with how big this has gotten," Krupp said. "If you come once and see how special and unique it is you have to come again -- it is something to see. We draw so many people that just want to see what is going on at the beach."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:42 am

West Ottawa grad Stitt enjoys Beach Vault
Thursday, July 20, 2006
By Jeff Chaney
The Grand Rapids Press
GRAND HAVEN -- Natalie Stitt doesn't plan on giving up pole vaulting.

Stitt, who just graduated from West Ottawa High School, is getting ready to leave for Notre Dame, where she will attend on a diving scholarship.

Pole vaulting was her second love at West Ottawa, and Stitt said she still wants to continue that rigorous sport to help her diving career.

She got some work in at the pole vault pit during the fifth annual Grand Haven Beach Vault Friday and Saturday at Grand Haven City Beach.

Stitt competed in the girls 17-18 age group, and cleared 10 feet, 6 inches.

"I'll probably keep pole vaulting on the side, but focus on diving now," said Stitt, who qualified for the state finals in June, but did not place.

"Pole vaulting really helps you with your body awareness in how you fly through the air."

As for her last pole vaulting competition before she leaves for Notre Dame?

"I'm pretty happy, but I wish I could have done a little better," Stitt said.

Stitt was joined in Grand Haven by West Ottawa pole vault coach Nathan McLeod, who also took part in the men's 30-35 masters division and cleared 11 feet.

West Ottawa sophomore-to-be Ryan Mulligan also took part and jumped 11-6.

"We wanted (Natalie and Ryan) to come here and have a good time," McLeod said. "There is not a lot of pressure, and where else can you vault at the beach? It is just a beautiful setting."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:45 am

http://www.mlive.com/preps/grpress/inde ... xml&coll=6

W. Catholic girls compete at Beach Vault
Thursday, July 20, 2006
By Jeff Chaney
The Grand Rapids Press
Strong pole vaulters helped the West Catholic girls track team to runner-up finishes at the Division 3 regional and Michigan Interscholastic Track Coaches Association team state finals last spring.

Four members of the team -- Abby Ostrowski, Stephanie Pindar, Alyssa Pindar and Kelly Morrissey -- polished their vaulting skills at the fifth annual Grand Haven Beach Vault last Friday and Saturday at Grand Haven City Beach.

Ostrowski and Stephanie Pindar, who will be seniors, took part in the girls 17-18 age group, Alyssa Pindar, who will be a sophomore, jumped in the girls 15-16 age group and Morrissey, a freshman this year, jumped in the 14-under age group.

Ostrowski went 10 feet, and just loves the event. It was her third Beach Vault competition.

"This is beautiful," Ostrowski said. "The beach, and then to see all the people here. That's what's good about it. You get to meet a lot of new people. Plus, it is good to get some competition in -- it keeps you jumping in the summer."

Stephanie Pindar also went 10 feet and tied her personal-best jump of 10 feet.

She still wanted better.

"I've been saying all year that I want to make 10-6," said Stephanie Pindar, who took fourth at the Division 3 state finals in June. "I'm just not there yet.

"I'm not so much about the competition, as I am the friendship here. "But it is still good to get some work in. It's always good to stay in shape."

Alyssa Pindar agrees. She cleared nine feet, which ties her best jump, but was even happier to be at the beach amongst friends.

"It is out of season and it's fun," Alyssa Pindar said.

"I wish I could have made 9-6, but I'm still happy."

As far as awards go, Morrissey was the only West Catholic jumper to come home from Grand Haven with a medal.

She claimed third place in her age group with a jump of nine feet.

"I'm really happy," Morrissey said. "I got third place and had my best jump ever."

In all, 220 pole vaulters from all over the country and Canada took part in the event, which continues to grow every year.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Met one of your sponsors

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm vacationing out here in Kona and wound up sitting next to one of your sponsors at a bar. He manages Bil-Mar Restaurant, and his name is Mike. He's one of the younger restaurant managers I have run in to.

fastpich19
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter 2009

Unread postby fastpich19 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:04 pm

Im going to try to go, It all depends if I get a car in time (a car that can hold poles).

Return to “Michigan”