Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Emily Reidt Article (MI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:56 pm

http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs ... 40329/1006

Reidt soars to new heights at regional

By JIM WHYMER
Times Herald
ADVERTISEMENT
Sunday is not a day of rest for Emily Reidt. At least when it comes to pole vaulting.

Reidt, 16, drives 90 miles one way to Bad Axe almost every Sunday to participate in the Tip of the Thumb pole-vault camp.

The extra work is paying off for the Armada sophomore. She set a school record Saturday in the Division 3 regional at Almont.

"My goal going into the regional was to go to states in the 1,600 relay and pole vault," Reidt said. "I was so thrilled when I cleared 10 feet. I really wanted to break the school record.

"I missed once at 10-3 and stopped. I wanted to save myself because I still had three more events to run."

Reidt went on to qualify in the 300-meter hurdles and two relays for the Michigan High School Athletic Association state finals June 4 at Comstock Park.

For her performance, she is the Times HeraldAthlete of the Week.

"I can help our pole vaulters get to 7-6 or 8-0," Armada Coach Rob Blume said. "Emily goes up to Bad Axe where she can get the

proper coaching. Ron Gebauer is a very good coach.

"If Emily makes a few more trips to Bad Axe in the next couple of weeks, I could see her placing at states."

Reidt ran a leg on the 800- and 1,600-meter relay teams, both of which took second. She is the leadoff runner in the 1,600 (4 minutes, 18.7 seconds), and runs the second leg in the 800 (1:49.56).

"I like Emily running 61 seconds and giving us a nice lead in the 1,600," Blume said. "Because of our size, I don't like to have her lead off and be down in the starting blocks."

Despite a fourth-place finish in the 300 hurdles, Reidt met the state-finals qualifying time at 48.99.

"Emily has quick strides," Blume said. "She really has perfect running form.

"Because she is such a smooth runner, I think her best event in the future could be the 400. She could run 58 seconds or faster."

There has been no sophomore jinx for Reidt.

As a freshman, she was third in the 300 hurdles at the regional and just missed the qualifying time. She ran on the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams at states.

The 1,600 squad took ninth.

"Emily is just a phenomenal athlete," Blume said. "She doesn't realize it yet just how good she can be.

"She works hard, but there's another whole different level that she hasn't approached yet."

To stay in shape in the offseason, Reidt runs cross country for Blume and Jason Hundey, who coach the boys and girls teams.

"I run cross country to get in shape for track," Reidt said. "I really love track. Probably my favorite event is the 1,600 relay. It's the last event of a meet, and our whole team runs around the track cheering us on."

Besides trips to Bad Axe, Reidt keeps pole vaulting in the winter. She competes in indoor meets at Macomb Community College.

Return to “Michigan”