Moderator: rainbowgirl28

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Ryan Santa Article (MI)

Unread postby skyshark177 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:07 am

http://www.detnews.com/2005/nnlivonia/0 ... 198995.htm

Pole vaulter sets sights on scaling new heights

Livonia Churchill High junior hones technical and athletic abilities to top rivals at state meet.

By Steve Stein / Special to The Detroit News

Max Ortiz / The Detroit News

Ryan Santa prepares for his next competition. On Saturday, he and eight of his Livonia Churchill teammates will travel to Rockford for the state meet. Santa holds the Churchill school record of 15 feet, 1 1/2 inches.

About Ryan Santa

Residence: Westland

Sport: Junior pole vaulter on the Livonia Churchill High boys track team

Grade point average: 3.2

Family: Parents, Steve and Kim; brother, Kevin, 29

Pre-meet routines: Keeps himself hydrated; reads and watches videos about pole vaulting

LIVONIA -- Whether he's on or off the track, pole vaulting is on Ryan Santa's mind.

That's why the Livonia Churchill High junior is one of the best pole vaulters in the state.

"Ryan reads everything he can about pole vaulting to try to get a competitive advantage," said Churchill boys track coach Rick Austin. "He even went to the Pole Vault Summit in Nevada in January to pick up some tips."

Austin said a successful pole vaulter needs to be a great athlete and a bit of a daredevil.

"That's Ryan, but he's quiet," the coach said. "He works like a professional. There are no wasted motions and no inefficiencies. His conditioning is done specifically for pole vaulting.

"Ryan is mature beyond his years. He knows what he wants."

Santa wouldn't call himself a daredevil, but he said the dangers of pole vaulting don't scare him.

Not even a fall during a 2003 summer meet that sidelined him for several months has made him wary.

"I know what I did wrong on that jump," Santa said. "I'm not fearful. If you know what you're doing, pole vaulting isn't dangerous."

Santa started pole vaulting when he was a freshman at Churchill. He eventually gave up basketball and travel soccer to focus on it.

"Pole vaulting is a very technical event, much harder than basketball or soccer," he said. "It's a huge challenge, and I like challenges.

"Plus, you can see the results of your work. That's not always the case with team sports."

Santa's recent vault of 14 feet, 6 inches resulted in a second consecutive Division 1 regional championship and a berth in the June 4 state meet at Rockford.

Only one Division 1 pole vaulter had a better jump in the regionals. Logan Lynch of Temperance-Bedford went 15 feet.

Santa holds the Churchill school record of 15 feet, 1 1/2 inches, set at this season's Livonia city meet.

He broke the mark of 14 feet, 8 inches established by Howard Whitefoot in 2003. Whitefoot now vaults for Eastern Michigan University.

Santa also ran the 100-meter dash and 4x100 relay this season. He didn't qualify for the state meet in those events, but Churchill will send nine athletes to Rockford.

One is senior Billy Breslin, another member of Assistant Coach Vern Williams' pole vaulting crew.

"I like to practice on my own so I can concentrate on what I'm doing, but it's good to have knowledgeable teammates like Billy who can point out mistakes I'm making," Santa said.

Churchill won six of seven dual meets and placed second in the regional behind powerhouse Detroit Cass Tech.

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:58 pm

Full front page picture, where apparently I'm a hispanic named Ryan Santana. ¿Qué el infierno?

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:33 am

haha nice pic of you bailing
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:57 pm

Yeah they showed up right when the vault was starting, not knowing I don't vault until about three hours later. So they got my warm up runs (the front pic not on the site), and my first run through then left. Good stuff.

Return to “Michigan”