mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:26 pm

Oh heck yeah it is!
What have you done today to get better?

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed May 04, 2005 8:39 am

hey ryan what is you run at and what pole are you on ?? just curious
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Thu May 05, 2005 12:03 am

As of last meet my 8 step was 102' and I was on a 15'6" 175 carbon gripping at 14'3". At the end of the meet when I went to 15'6" it was moving way too fast so next meet it's time to try some new poles.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu May 05, 2005 8:50 am

nice i was just curious because i am slowly moving back my run and geting on some bigger sticks myself and just seeing where i compare right now

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu May 05, 2005 8:51 am

oh forgot to say that i am on a 14'6'' 150 from 5 lefts holding about 12'10''-13' and i move the pole past vertical to fast and i made 13'1'' tues into the wind and it the cold

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Thu May 05, 2005 12:05 pm

vaulter870 wrote:oh forgot to say that i am on a 14'6'' 150 from 5 lefts holding about 12'10''-13' and i move the pole past vertical to fast and i made 13'1'' tues into the wind and it the cold

Keep it up :yes:

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Ryan Santa Artical

Unread postby skyshark177 » Thu May 05, 2005 12:20 pm

Here's what the local paper wrote about his 15' jump.

link

Santa vaults Churchill boys to City track championship

By Brad Emons
Staff Writer

The winner of Livonia City Boys Track Meet had long been decided Monday at Stevenson, but the Churchill bus was still waiting in the parking lot for pole vaulter Ryan Santa to finish up.

Santa, just a junior, shattered his own school record for the second time this season by clearing 15 feet, 1.5 inches under cold and blustery conditions.

Churchill also emerged the winner in the final team standings with 103.5 points, edging the host Spartans, who scored 92, by 11 points. Livonia Franklin and Clarenceville finished third and fourth with 41.5 and 19, respectively.

Santa, who cleared 14-9 earlier this season in a 71-66 dual-meet loss to Stevenson, didn't anticipate going over 15 feet.

"I wasn't expecting to jump that well, I was a little tired and been having some leg problems, but after the warmups I felt much better,'' said Santa, who cleared 13 feet as a sophomore. "It's two percent jumping, the rest is all about running, speed on the runway and planting of the pole.''

Santa never vaulted until he arrived as a ninth-grader at Churchill. He played soccer, but gave up that sport to concentrate on the pole vault where he has emerged as one of the state's best.

"By luck I just decided to try it,'' Santa said. "It's technical, it's physical and it's challenging.''

Churchill jumps coach Vern Williams calls Santa "a pole vault nut.''

Over the winter, Santa traveled to Nevada to watch some of the best in the U.S. and the world compete Reno Pole Vault Summit. That is where he met Franklin High graduate Paul Terek, a 2004 Olympian in the men's decathlon who still holds the state high school record in the pole vault at 16-6.

"It's hard to keep up with his knowledge,'' Williams said. "He knows a lot about it already.''

Churchill coach Rick Austin not only had to be pleased with Santa, but also with his distance team led by senior Joe Horka, who won the 800- and 1,600-meter events in 2:02.1 and 4:43.29, respectively.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu May 05, 2005 12:29 pm

Way to go ryan.. same with you chris, bout time people are starting to jump well :yes: hopefulyl ill be back in the running this weekend
What have you done today to get better?

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Fri May 06, 2005 12:24 am

thanks, they botched up some of my quotes but oh well.

I said something like the stuff in the air after the plant that everyone "wows" about during meets such as parents and other bad coaches is only about 2 percent of the vault.

And the "didn't think I'd jump 15'" was for that meet alone due to the weather.

BTW, I'd recommend checking the midmark chart just made by DJ (previously bubbapv) in the PV technique forum. I've used it before but never realized it's importance until recently (just today my step is now 100'3" instead of 102" and my take off was much more dynamic). Once I get my run set to this idea I'll pull off some 16's ;)

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:29 am

haha thats the spirit if anyone is to jump 16 before me id rather have it be someone that i know and deserves it and the only people that deserve it at this point are logan ryan adam and i so we all need to do it make states interesting haha keep setting that bar higher i need to chase someone ryan :P

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:40 am

stupid question but are you going down to nationals this year ryan and are you going to go with adam logan and i to one or orans camps?? we may never be allowed back together to orans but it will be a good time i can tell you that!!

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Fri May 06, 2005 9:59 am

As for nationals I really have no clue. Havn't heard anything about it. For camps, it's still uncertain. I was planning on going back to the camp in Arizona because it was such a great vaulting enviornment, but Oran's camps have always sounded interesting. I have until June 10th to send in the deposit for the Arizona camp (http://skyathletics.com/), so I still have some time to decide.

Return to “Michigan”