Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Article on Michigan Girl

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:43 pm

http://www.mlive.com/preps/muchronicle/ ... 762480.xml

Raising the bar

Thursday, April 08, 2004

By Dave Tomczak
CHRONICLE STAFF WRITER

Past accomplishments and records are nice, but improving on those feats is all that matters to Ludington's Bekah Laman.

From Our Advertiser

At the end of her sophomore year, Bekah set the Ludington school and the West Michigan Individual track and field meet pole vault record with a jump of 11 feet, three inches.

It is a record that still stands and that's the problem for the likeable senior. She wants to break it this spring.

"I have big goals for this year," she says. "Twelve feet is my goal. It's definitely a realistic goal. This is one of those sports where you can all of a sudden break out and jump a foot higher."

It was a goal for the 17-year-old last season, too, and though she managed to hit 11 feet for a third-place finish at state for the second straight year, she was disappointed in the outcome.

"It was kind of a frustrating season. I put a lot of pressure on myself to jump higher," she said.

Luckily for Bekah, support, motivation and inspiration is right at home.

Her father, Doug, was a Ludington pole vaulter in 1976, her mother, Cathy, was a member of Mason County Central's 1976 state runner-up basketball team and her sister, Tara, was involved with volleyball and cross country for the Orioles.

But it was her oldest sister, Jessica, who turned her on to the pole vault.

"She was always hanging out at the pole vault pit when she was little," Doug says. "She is good friends with her sisters. When they all get together it's like a party."

Jessica, a '98 graduate, was the first female pole vaulter for Ludington. After graduation, she went to Bethel College in Indiana and became the school's first female pole vaulter.

Bekah, who has committed to Bethel, will follow in her footsteps.

"(Bekah) thought about Cornerstone College," her father added. "But her sister called and asked her to consider Bethel. It was a good school for our first daughter and (Bethel's) coach called a number of times and was very enthusiastic about it."

To keep up with this year's expectations, Bekah spent the offseason pushing herself as a member of the Lakestriders, a Ludington club team that competes in the winter track series.

"We went all over Michigan. We competed in events at Ferris, Central, Michigan State and the University of Michigan," said Doug. "It's a great way to meet and make friends from all over the state. There are clubs from all around."

Bekah finished the session with a third-place finish at the indoor state meet. Unfortunately, she also pulled a hamstring.

"She was working out and she pulled it," said Doug. "She's pretty much taken the last couple of weeks off."

The minor setback, however, could turn out to be a blessing in disguise, as Bekah has been using her free time to share her knowledge with 10 teammates who will pole vault this year.

"During this time off, I can't jump," said Bekah. "It gives me time to focus on helping them and not focus on myself. I coach them and try to get the younger girls to work on their jumps."

While Ludington looks to reclaim first in the Western Waterways Athletic Conference West, a spot it held for five straight years until last year's second- place finish, Bekah can focus on hitting 12 feet and then maybe more.

"I jumped 13-3 when I was a senior," says Doug. "I think she would love to jump that -- I think it would be great. It would deflate me, but it would be great."

Return to “Michigan”