Grand Haven Beach Vault Results are up

A forum to discuss anything related to Michigan

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

P-VCoach
PV Wannabe

Grand Haven Beach Vault Results are up

Unread postby P-VCoach » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:18 am

Hello all,

Grand Haven Beach Vault results are up. A big thank you to all who particpated, as this was the most successful Beach Vault ever. Friday was about as perfect a day for vaulting--75 degrees and a nice tailwind. Saturday started out with rain and wind. The Sun came out and we moved the pits due to the wind, and had a nice tailwind for about 3 1/2 hours, then the wind did a 180 right before the Elite Competition. Needless to say, the Elite's had a pretty gusty headwind and the heights will reflect it. A big thank you to all the people who supported this year's event!

www.grandhavenbeachvault.com

Thanks!
KP

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:23 am

That was the biggest headwind I have ever jumped in, never seen that many guys not make the pit.
What have you done today to get better?

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:35 am

What could be done. The wind shifted 180 degrees in 4 hours. It was an amazing repositioning of the pits at noon due to rain storm. Runways were moved to take advantage of a WSW wind. Then over the course of 4 hours the wind shifted to a NNE wind. The runways were repositioned in a way that the pits couldn't be flipped. It was mother nature at its worst.

Overall great event once again.

SNS
PV Wannabe

Lake Michigan and Wind

Unread postby SNS » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:35 pm

When dealing with Lake Michigan, you must be prepared for anything. I haven't been to the GHBV for two summers now, but the weather is always unpredictable. I respect the coaches who run it off. There is always a great deal of stress on organizers of competitions considering the weather and wind, when vaulting. Not a job that I would want sitting next to Lake Michigan.

SNS

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Great event run by a great group of people. Everyone needs to make an effort to attend this event as it is a great atmosphere to jump in.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:13 pm

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grpress/ind ... xml&coll=6

Beach Vault deals with high winds
Thursday, July 19, 2007
By Cris Greer
The Grand Rapids Press
GRAND HAVEN -- Nearly 300 athletes from around the country competed Friday, and in high winds Saturday, at the sixth annual Grand Haven Beach Vault held at the City Beach.

The two-day contest, which began six years ago with 60 competitors, drew people from as far away as California, Florida and Texas.

"I think it was a great success; we ended up having 279 competitors," said Dave Emeott, organizer of the event and East Kentwood's track and field coach. "People from all over the Midwest, really all over the country, had the opportunity to come see what Grand Haven's like.

"We're excited to see all those cars in Grand Haven with poles strapped to them. The local people are really getting excited about it. And we're coming back next year."

Mark Hollis, an Olivet Nazarene University grad, tackled the 17 mph winds to grab first place (17 feet) in the men's open elite category.

Kira Sims, of the University of Akron, won the women's open elite (12-6).

Amanda Haines, a three-time national champion at Adrian College and Siena Heights University, talked about the Beach Vault's popularity.

"It's getting huge; I think it's the atmosphere," said Haines, who no-heighted in the elite category. "Everybody loves having a lot of vaulters who are supporting the sport because sometimes it's really hard to find meets, especially in the summer."

East Kentwood standout Abby Shanahan won the girls high school elite category (12 feet).

"I live for the sport," said Shanahan, who's heading to Kansas State University on a track scholarship. "I only work one day a week, so my life is dedicated to pole vaulting."

Last spring, Shanahan won the Division 1 high school state pole vault title with a record height of 12-2.

Logan Lynch, of Temperance Bedford, won the boys high school elite category with a vault of 14-6. Lynch is a two-time Division 1 state champion. Last spring, he set a state record of 16-1.

Kellie Kieren, of Grant High School and Grand Valley State University, won the women's college open category (11 feet). Bethany Hecksel of Rockford and GVSU took second place. Hecksel was the Division 1 state champ in 2002 with a vault of 11-0.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:39 pm

Video of Brian Hancock 16-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S84qtf1a8Z0

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:00 am