logan lynch repetes 3rd straight indoor title

A forum to discuss anything related to Michigan

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

logan lynch repetes 3rd straight indoor title

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:15 pm

logan lynch has won his third straight indoor title in michigan at 15'3'' and then went straight for the indoor state record which is 16'5'' and went for 16'5.25. his first attempt was he cleared it and then he knocked it off with his lebow on the way down. he will jump 17' if he can make the pole he was on his compition pole. he had only had that pole for about an hour before he jumped on it but now has it
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:43 am

Yes, Logan looked very good over 5.01m.

All three of his attempts he had the hip hight for it. Although I don't like the standards under 20 inches, he had them at 18", but that was the closest that they could put them. If they could of put them at the closest placement, which is 15.5", I believe he would of cleared it on his first attempt.

Anyhow, I have to give him credit, he's on his way to possibly be the first Michigander to clear 17' in high school.
SKYSHARKS

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:43 am

by outdoor states and nationals he will be ready to jump 17' i will be going down to help him out a couple of times till i am out of school then during the whole month of may he will have my undivided attention!

skyshark177
PV Pro

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:15 pm

Yes, but the real test is, Can some one do it while in Michigan at a High School meet?

See now, the Michigan HS outdoor record is 16'8"3/4 by Geoff Fairbanks, but he was at a the Junior nationals meet, i think in Indiana. The highest in State Record is 16'6", Terek(states) and Dewildt (city meet).

So I hope he can do it while still competing in High School and in Michigan. That's what I'd want personally, but that's just me.
SKYSHARKS

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:04 pm

well that is the goal. and i know that he wants that as much as the rest of us. but with the time frame that he has for coaching it will happen in may or june when he is in his best shape and has been able to have technicle advice for more then a day

vaultfan12
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaultfan12 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:43 pm

For everyone out there this is a notice to all of you who unfortunately listen to vaulter870 about Logan Lynch. HE IS NOT LOGAN'S COACH! He is simply one of the entourage that follows Logan around at his meets. Vaulter870 is a misguided vaulter who is trying to live vicariously through Logan. I live in the Bedford area and am a fan of track and field, especially the vault.

I may not be Logan's coach (wish I was though) but I can speak from what I've seen about their program in the years. Coach Scheffer hasn't been around for that long but just look at the last couple years.
2005: 5 state qualifiers in the pole vault (3 boys and 2 girls) with three of the 5 earning all-state honors.
2006: 4 state qualifiers with two getting all-state honors.
He has had at least one vaulter at the state meet since he took over.

There are coaches, athletes, and others who feel the need to give Lynch advice at meets because Lynch is too polite. I've talked to him before and he seems to be the type of kid who doesn't want to tell people that he doesn't need the advice.

Vaulter870 be Lynch's friend and leave the coaching to the man who has proven himself. I want to see the Bedford track team make a run at the state title so don't mess it up for their team.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:45 am

who are you??do you even know what you are talking about??? i dont really think so. where you at the state meet helping him with pole selection and what he needs to change in order to get better penetration. Where you there helping him figure out what his standards needed to be??? i dont think so and i am pretty sure that i am doing alot more as a coach then his jumps coach is!!! trust me i know cause his jumps coach wasnt even there! i may not be an offical coach but i am pretty sure that i can say that i help to coach him better then shafer does! i have been at the last 3 state meets and shafer was no where to be found so helped him to chose poles and standards, caught steps and this year i have been going to meets with him and "coaching". i am in no way messing up their chances at anything i am helping him to be able to jump his best! i am really upset that you felt a need to try and tear me down for the fact that i am trying to help to coach a friend of mine. you can ask logan your self and see what he says!! i know that he will tell you that i have been a better coach than shafer has ever been to him! and the fact that i am trying to live through him is absord. i am a polevaulter who does not have the god given talent that logan has. i enjoy the sport very much and i am continueing to jump in college after a broken back sidelined me for this year. so maybe you want to get the whole story next time buddy. i am not saying that shafer is a bad coach he just isnt a coach that has been able to help logan for sometime now in fact he was holding him back by making him do other running events and not letting him jump fresh! so dont talk to me about screwing up bedfords chances cause they are doing it them selves

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:59 am

Clearing 17+ during a Michigan outdoor HS meet will be a challenge. For me, it was hard to even clear 15 feet because of the volume of meets (often 2-3 a week) and the number of events I was forced to run.

I think logan can do it though. I got a chance to watch him Saturday and I thought he looked very good. Very solid fundamental approach, and he seemed to be fairly efficient at take-off. I do not see 17 being a problem for him.

vaultfan12
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaultfan12 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:07 am

WOW! Are you way off base. Coach Scheffer has been at all state meets including this past weekend. He was video taping his vaults to go over later. From what I do know, not assumimg like you, Lynch goes to Scheffer when he needs it. Scheffer does not hover over any of his athletes. Lynch is an extremely intelligent vaulter and can handle himself well.

I don't see you at their daily practices when they go over video and analyze the last meet or when he has his computer out on the practice field filming them and going over it right then and there. It must be all you. I guess you've been coaching Logan since he's been in jr. high. Yeah, you're right Scheffer doesn't do anything because he's not in Logan's ear before every vault. Scheffer's record speaks for itself; he has nothing to prove to you, and you began the bashing by commenting more than once that Lynch has no real coach.

As for having to run races that tire him out, that is not Scheffer's call. The head coach makes all athletes run; it is a high school program. If you notice, Logan never has to race at major competitions. He ran the 4 x 400 at Regional because the vault was over. Lynch is one of the fastest guys on the team.

When the head coach finds out that you are interfering with his athletes at meets, I don't think he will let it continue. He's not as laid back as Scheffer...just ask Lynch yourself.

skyshark177
PV Pro

Unread postby skyshark177 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:17 am

OK, lets stop with the arguing here or this thread will be locked.
SKYSHARKS

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:55 am

While vaulter870 and I give Logan advice at meets, I would not call it being a coach, yes it is far more involved than that to be a serious coach. However in his defense, everything he stated is what Logan himself tells us. Now I have been with Logan for every single pr jump since 13', and many of them have come at summer or open meets, under vaulter870's guidance. Not to argue, but I think it is unfair to say vaulter870 is "interfering" with anything. (not to mention Logan jumps on OUR poles and we get him the poles he needs) :)
What have you done today to get better?

vaultfan12
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaultfan12 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:33 am

Now we're up to two people who are giving Lynch "advice." Does anyone see the problem here? Are there other events in track where an athlete has his coach and several others at the meet giving tips?

I've seen him PR at plenty of in season meets (including last year's state meet). Why is it unfair to say he is interfering? He is interfering because he is not Logan's coach, and he has no idea what coach Scheffer is trying to do. What makes you guys more qualified then his coach beside the fact that you supply him poles. Have you guys ever thought that maybe the reason Lynch has you guys around is for the poles.

Return to “Michigan”