Moderator: rainbowgirl28

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Request for old track gear

Unread postby vaultdad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together examples of pole vault gear throughout the years as well as other Track & Field implements for a small museum hopefully to be located in an indoor track soon.

I have some of the "multi-part" crossbars from Gill that came as a kit complete with pink breakable joints so you could make HJ/PV crossbars
I have a Catapole Browning Golden Eagle pole (brown) with a three digit serial number
I have a Gill orange aluminum training pole from the mid-60's.
Non-roller base PV standards from the late 50's (round base Gill design)

So what I'm looking for are things that could not be used today such as poles from the 70's on back or triangular aluminum crossbars, or any of the other unusual shapes if anyone has any left in a barn somewhere.
Wooden javelins, discus, or anything you might suggest that could be interesting to show the history of our sport would be gratefully respected and displayed.

Even spikes would be interesting because none of the kids today have seen leather spikes which were often used on cinders or red dog crushed brick tracks which were common in the 60's. You ordered them from your local sporting goods store because there was no Nike brand then to go pick up from a big box store. :D

I live in the midwest just south of St. Louis, so if any of you old coaches are being made to clean out the garage I'd certainly like to see what you have. I could also send a letter thanking you for the contribution. This has been a pet project for some time, but now the old stuff seems to be getting thrown away.

Thanks, Vaultdad
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

Return to “Illinois”