A forum to discuss anything related to Illinois

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

ahrensm
PV Newbie
Expertise: parent
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Camps for beginners

Unread postby ahrensm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:26 am

I have a 9 year old daughter(10 in March) who would like to try pole vaulting. She has no experience but is very fast and strong for her age and has taken some gymnastics. Are there any camps for beginners near the western suburbs of Chicago? Also if anyone has any advice on how to get her started in the sport, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks, Mike

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Re: Camps for beginners

Unread postby patybobady » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Jan Johnson's 'sky jumpers' camp held annually in February at Maine South H.S. for a weekend is a great opportunity. Rolling Meadows has one this upcoming Sunday, and Bloom H.S. has 'stuff' on Sundays headed by Tim Johnson.

*In the summer a lot of h.s.'s offer vaulting opportunities (plug for my camp - Elmwood Park H.S. - 3 x week, 2 pits, etc.).
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:33 pm

ahrensm wrote:I have a 9 year old daughter(10 in March) who would like to try pole vaulting. She has no experience but is very fast and strong for her age and has taken some gymnastics. Are there any camps for beginners near the western suburbs of Chicago? Also if anyone has any advice on how to get her started in the sport, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks, Mike

I think that's great she wants to get started. Be sure to check with any camps about her age. Some don't want them any younger than junior high age.

getvertical
PV Beginner

Unread postby getvertical » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:19 am

I run club practices in Milwaukee that several people come up for. During the fall, winter and spring we only take high school and older kids due to lack of space and demand. In the summer we might have availability.

During the summer we practice twice a week at Wisconsin Lutheran College in Wauwatosa, WI. Information will be posted on our website http://getverticalpv.com and on facebook.

js

varska
PV Wannabe

Unread postby varska » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 pm

In addition to Tim Johnson down at Bloom (vaultchicago.com), Tim Winder runs some great camps at North Central College in Naperville. 9 might be a little young, but you can always inquire.

Return to “Illinois”