World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Jenna Wexter passes big test (IL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:29 pm

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/hera ... S1.article

Wexter passes big test

May 11, 2008 Recommend
By Ryan Gregg rgregg@scn1.com
L-Way C. senior wins sectional pole vault PLAINFIELD -- With most of the pole vault competitors finished at the Class AA Plainfield Central Sectional on Friday, Lincoln-Way Central's senior Jenna Wexter still had her warm-ups on, waiting for the bar to get higher while cheering on teammate Brenna Marron.

Even after Marron, a junior, cleared 10 feet, qualifying for state, Wexter, a favorite at state, had yet to take a practice vault.

Finally Wexter jumped, clearing 12-0 feet without breaking a sweat and easily taking first -- leaving her biggest pole for state.

"It was a good day," Wexter said. "I wanted to jump a little bit higher. At conference the other day, I jumped 12-6. I knew I could do it again today.

"But I stayed a little back. I didn't get on my bigger pole today because we're saving it for next week. I've got some big jumps in me. And I know it's coming."

After the competition, Wexter's attention was focused on her teammate's success rather than her own.

"I'm just so excited right now, I don't know what to say," Wexter said. "Brenna is like my sister."

Knights vaulting coach Dustin Waddell attributed the duo's success to their mental toughness and body awareness, but said Wexter's and Marron's relationship is also a big factor.

"When Brenna gets down, Jenna is there to make her smile," Waddell said. "They'll goof around, they'll joke and they'll even punch each other if it comes to that, but they work well together.

"Vaulting is fun, you can't get down about what you do, and the happier you are the better you jump."

After the meet, Wexter and Marron were definitely happy.

"It's always fantastic when they have a chance to share the experience (of state) together," Waddell said.

Though not competing together, the pair is familiar with state. Last year Wexter narrowly missed taking gold, clearing 11-6 feet and finishing second.

Marron did not qualify in the vault, but competed in the long jump and triple jump. She won Friday's long jump, but seemed more excited to make it to state in the vault.

"When I hit 10-0, my heart stopped," Marron said.

Waddell saidthe year has seen Marron's vaults rise and fall and was very excited for her to qualify.

"Brenna has gone through a lot of different phases of her vault" Waddell said. "She is actually an 11-0 foot, 11-6 jumper. We had a little trouble with her step, but when crunch time comes to go, she takes to it."

Marron said Wexter helping her in practices led to her improvement as a vaulter, but both vaulters said they would be nowhere without their coach.

"We just wouldn't be here without him," Wexter said. "It really means a lot to us that he is out there working with us every single day."

Waddell said it is just a coach's dream to be able to work with Wexter and Marron.

The duo, with their coach cheering on, will begin vaulting at 12:30 p.m. Friday at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston at the state meet.

Return to “Illinois”