Girls pole vaulting soars to new heights (IL)

A forum to discuss anything related to Illinois

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Girls pole vaulting soars to new heights (IL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:33 pm

http://www.kcchronicle.com/articles/200 ... 184940.txt

Girls pole vaulting soars to new heights

Comments (0)
Local IHSA state qualifiers in girls pole vault since 2001:

Class AA – Tamela Jadin (St. Charles East), Sarah Landau (Geneva), Janae DeBartolo (Rosary).

Class A – Lauren Beck (St. Francis).

Class AA – Ashley Stinton (St. Charles East), Tamela Jadin (St. Charles East), Sarah Landau (Geneva), Sarah McCabe (Batavia), Jackie Kennath (Geneva).

Class A – Lauren Beck (St. Francis).

Class AA – Sarah Landau-* (Geneva), Rachel Verone (Batavia).

Class A – Brietney Marchese (St. Francis), Steph Gierealtowski (Burlington Central), Mekenna Guarino (Burlington Central).

Class AA – Sarah Landau-* (Geneva), Rachel Verone (Batavia).

Class A – Lauren Colby (Burlington Central), Cathy Braun (St. Francis).

Class AA – Brittney Bernardoni (Batavia).

Class A – Lauren Colby (Burlington Central).

Class AA – Brittney Bernardoni-* (Batavia)

Class A – Alyssa Link (Aurora Central Catholic).

*-Denotes state champion.

By JOE STEVENSON

jstevenson@nwherald.com

The girl on the east side of Eastern Illinois University’s O’Brien Stadium staged what would have been, in musical parlance, a virtuoso performance.

Higher and higher New Trier’s Elizabeth Boyle went, all by herself, the only remaining competition coming from the bar looming above the pole vault pit. It was the 2001 IHSA Class AA Girls State Track and Field Meet, and Boyle provided a commercial for why Illinois needed the girls pole vault by boldly soaring where no girl in the state had ever soared before.

Boyle finally missed after clearing 12 feet, 6 inches – the Class A boys state-qualifying standard at the time – thus inspiring girls around the state to give this new event a whirl. Five years later, three girls in the Class AA girls pole vault finals made 12-6.

The pole vault, an expensive event before the IHSA adopted it for girls in 2001, still is expensive. But it has been embraced by enough athletes and coaches to become a viable entity at competitions around the state. Girls are attending camps, seeking out off-season instruction and truly learning their craft.

“In my opinion, the pole vault is one of the most exciting events in track,â€Â

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:15 pm

Very true, and about time it was recognized ;)

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Re: Girls pole vaulting soars to new heights (IL)

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:06 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Boyle vaulted with the Trevians’ boys team until a petition from her family and another girl vaulter’s family citing Title IX helped push the girls pole vault through. The IHSA said another survey in February 2001 indicated a dramatic increase in the number of schools interested in the new event, and on March 1, 2001, the IHSA board voted in girls pole vault.

I remember that....she came with the boys team to an indoor meet at my HS early in the year. It was early my Sophomore year, and she beat me by 9 inches. I lost to her in a direct competition. I want a rematch!!!!!
Man Up and Jump

SNS
PV Wannabe

Girls/Women Vaulters

Unread postby SNS » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:29 am

Girls/women vaulters in Illinois has brought pole vaulting popularity to a new level. Having coached hundreds of gals over the years I know that they are very capable, willing and fun to coach. The strength issues that were talked about years ago concerning females not being strong enough are a joke. The women that I coach are very strong, and that I am proud of. Including women in vaulting several years ago, was the best possible thing that could have been done for our sport. As a matter of fact, pole vaulting may not be around, in Illinois today, if it wasn't for girls/women being allowed to vault in IHSA competitions. So... Thanks ladies. Keep up the good work.

SNS

Return to “Illinois”