Reno will most likely NOT be counting for NCAAs this year

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Reno will most likely NOT be counting for NCAAs this year

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:33 am

There is no meet for the Summit to be held in conjunction with like there was last year, so as far as I know the marks from the Summit will not be counting toward NCAA qualifying.

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:11 pm

BOOOOOOOO!

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:30 pm

I can't see any head coach wanting to spend the money on airfare, lodging, meals, and entries to send any vaulters to the Summit then. Even if it is a great "educational experience."
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:40 pm

lonestar wrote:I can't see any head coach wanting to spend the money on airfare, lodging, meals, and entries to send any vaulters to the Summit then. Even if it is a great "educational experience."

I agree, I know of at least one school that is backing out and using the $ to purchase more poles and then travel with the team to the meet on the schedule.
Chris Milton

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:02 pm

lonestar wrote:I can't see any head coach wanting to spend the money on airfare, lodging, meals, and entries to send any vaulters to the Summit then. Even if it is a great "educational experience."

It's good for recruiting. It's not such a big deal if your school is relatively close, has a huge budget, or is DII, DIII, NAIA, JC, or CIS, or God forbid if you are a DI vaulter that does not have a realistic shot at qualifying.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to the meet directors. They get enough youth, open, and masters vaulters that they don't need the DI vaulters to make the event a success. Lots of DI kids end up there anyway because they pay their own way.

I think the NCAA is being dumb and should give the Summit a waiver again. Maybe more pole vault coaches should get more involved in NCAA committee stuff.

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:22 am

Its ashame because i really think it takes away from the meet, for all of the young vauter these are the people that they read about in college. I remeber seeing Yoo Kim jump and being in the same elevator with Paul Gensic, and not to mention seeing Skipper.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:01 pm

I bet Skipper still goes to jump in the elite division! Even though it don't qualify him for NCAA's, he could do it in any other meet!!

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:08 am

Bonevt wrote:Its ashame because i really think it takes away from the meet, for all of the young vauter these are the people that they read about in college. I remeber seeing Yoo Kim jump and being in the same elevator with Paul Gensic, and not to mention seeing Skipper.

hey u jerk .. you saw me too!!

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:35 am

I don't agree with not counting it for NCAAs, but my opinion is that if you should be at nationals they you should be able to qualify more than only at Reno.

That said, I still intend on taking several vaulters to the meet regardless of what NCAA decides.
What did you do to get better today?

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:26 am

ec1vaulter wrote:That said, I still intend on taking several vaulters to the meet regardless of what NCAA decides.

Are they paying their own way, or is the school?
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:47 pm

Our budget actually doesn't allow our competition fund to be used for this, but I feel that it is a great experience for my athletes and last year really started off a great season for all of them.

Last season the athletes paid there way... this year I will be funding for the trip. The parents help out a lot too. Last year several parents came out to be part of the event and bought several of the meals for us also.
What did you do to get better today?

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:33 am

ec1vaulter wrote:Our budget actually doesn't allow our competition fund to be used for this, but I feel that it is a great experience for my athletes and last year really started off a great season for all of them.

Last season the athletes paid there way... this year I will be funding for the trip. The parents help out a lot too. Last year several parents came out to be part of the event and bought several of the meals for us also.

That's cool. In years past, most of my athletes have had to pay their own way. Last year no one had the money to. The school won't help out at all. The parents down here generally aren't all that interested in going to Reno once their kids are in college, but the high school parents are.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”