Random Reports

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Random Reports

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Hey Guys and Gals. Thought this might be a good thread of goings on for those not here.

I saw my buddy and 40 year old Pat Manson at lunch today. He has 22 consecutive years over 18' but tonight the subplot is the M40-44 WR. A 5.20m+ (17' 3/4") jump will do it but he's jumping on adjacent runways to 40 year old Jeff Hartwig.

Pat says, "I hope I get to have the record for at least five or ten minutes but Jeff may get it first because they are starting higher". Twenty minutes later I saw Hartwig at the elevator and we laughed about Pat's statement. He then said, "well I'm going to have to get it from six because that's all I'm running tonight".

Stay tuned. Bubba

BTW - when I asked Pat about a 23rd year at 18' he said with a laugh, "Man it's only four days into the year".
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:19 am

Last night there were several WRs. To name a few, Pat Manson did in fact beat Hartwig to the punch by jumping 17' 1" and then 17' 7" before being super close at 18' 1". About an hour later it was Jeff’s turn. Their progression went 5.30m, 5.40m, to 5.50m, so this gave Hartwig two WRs, 5.40m and then 5.50m. Awesome performances!!

My dear friend John Altendorf jumped on my pit and got a new WR for the M60 at 4m - 13' 1 1/2" on his first attempt to set the new mark and to tie his outdoor PR and WR. John remains the only 60 year old to ever make 13' or higher.

I had a long talk with Paul Babbits on Thursday night before he upped his M45 WR with a 5.01m jump last night. He said that vaulting wasn't fun for him anymore at the end of last year so he moved in to a short run, got out of spikes and back to flats, and started working his plant and grip. The result? He's now on 5m poles and looking the best I've seen him since 1996 when he qualified for the Olympic Trials.

Hung out with Simon Arkell (two time Olympian. and former Australia NR - 5.80m) and Mike/Erica Bartolina last night for awhile. Nice vaulting Erica and great calendar. Simon, as always had some good stories. It seems he decided to inquire about a limo sitting out front as a way to get his JC kids over to the Livestock Center. He somehow convinced them that they were the vaulters the driver was expecting. After a little confusion, the REAL passengers arrived. Imagine the surprise of 2000 Olympic Champ, Nick Hysong and his dad Cranston, to find Simon and his vaulters in "their" limo. He took one back to the hotel as well.

The snow came in last night as we were arriving at the Livestock Center and continued throughout the event. HUGE snowflakes covered everything.

The bus service is great and it's a good thing. Many have expressed concern for the inconvenience of going back and forth but I think it's a necessary evil at this point. Bob Fraley announced there were 2,400 vaulters this year so adjustments always will have to be made. Summit management has done an outstanding job with everything. More later. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

2-15-46
PV Pro

M60-64

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:09 pm

Congrads John....fine job...... inspired me to do an extra 100 crunchs this morning!!!!
Bob

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”