"Stuczynski not attending Pole Vault Summit"

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
mtsky
PV Newbie

"Stuczynski not attending Pole Vault Summit"

Unread postby mtsky » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:06 am

I saw announced on Stuczynski's website that she will not be attending the pole vault summit. Was looking forward to seeing her jump. This one hurts, where have all the pole vaulters gone? Brad Walker, Tim Mack, Russ Buller and now Stuczynski. The elite competition isn't looking very elite. Why aren't these great vaulters jumping??? That's what I came to see! :( this stinks

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: "Stuczynski not attending Pole Vault Summit"

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:28 am

mtsky wrote:I saw announced on Stuczynski's website that she will not be attending the pole vault summit. Was looking forward to seeing her jump. This one hurts, where have all the pole vaulters gone? Brad Walker, Tim Mack, Russ Buller and now Stuczynski. The elite competition isn't looking very elite. Why aren't these great vaulters jumping??? That's what I came to see! :( this stinks

It's early, and a lot of the vaulters are fighting injury.

You should come to the Summit to learn from the great clinics. That is the purpose of the event. The elites are like a bonus.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:37 am

Though I completely agree with Becca, lots of elites who aren't jumping are still here for the learning part and to support the event. In fact I know many former elites who have retired that still make the trip. Not a judgment on Jenn of course, just would be nice to meet her. I understand she does a great job encouraging the kids so she will certainly be missed. I'm sure the weather on both ends may have contributed to the decision. WE may not even get out of here if you watch the weather reports. Bubba
Last edited by Bubba PV on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

30yrs-coaching
PV Beginner

Unread postby 30yrs-coaching » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:07 am

Jenn was on the startlist at Cornell Open where she opened up with 4.61 on friday.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:08 pm

She is on the banner for the vault summit, shes healthy enough to vault (based on her 4.61 opening this weekend) and she is the face and future of the womens vault... and NOT at reno?! :eek: I don't understand that one....
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Fantastic seeing you BJ! Super proud of your accomplishments and where you stand. I remember you first as the little brother that didn't really seem to like the vault all that much and then one summer we saw your breakthrough. I'm blessed to have been able to watch that. You're great for the sport. Keep up the fine efforts with your club.

As far as Jenn goes, your statement sums up the sentiment of everyone I heard talking about it. Perhaps you were a little more polite than some. The higher you got up the more guarded the comments were but the athletes were very vocal about it - "she should have been there - period!" "The sport supports you and you support the sport. That simple." Bubba

vtcoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby vtcoach » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:44 pm

The pole vault summit is a great event. But to play devil's advocate a bit, Jen may be at the point in her training where what she needed was a local meet and not the interruption to her training that would be involved in a five day, 6000 mile trip.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:30 pm

vtcoach wrote:The pole vault summit is a great event. But to play devil's advocate a bit, Jen may be at the point in her training where what she needed was a local meet and not the interruption to her training that would be involved in a five day, 6000 mile trip.

As long as track athletes don't take time to do things to promote thier sport, the sport will always be a minor sport.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:44 pm

Amen!! Two Olympic Champions (Mack & Dragila) and the current World Champion (Walker) gladly attended yet didn't vault and they were embraced by their fans. It was a wonderful thing to see.

USATF PV Development brings in the top 10 girls and guys just for this purpose. Skipping out is not considered an option, especially in an Olympic year when so few elites are jumping at a high level yet anyway. So after the symbolic slap in the face, you get the news she vaulted elsewhere.

Of course I have no personal involvement but I was told similar things by many athletes. One elite said, "she's the hottest thing in the US vault scene. Why would she not WANT to be here with as much as she's accomplished. Nobody is bigger than the sport, as we're about to see on 60 Minutes with Roger Clemensâ€Â

30yrs-coaching
PV Beginner

Unread postby 30yrs-coaching » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Mr. Bubba Sparks and Mr. B.J.,

1. From reading Stuczynski's website SHE has done a HUGE ammount in the last 3 weeks to promote Pole Vault and Track and Field

2. WHO ARE YOU TWO to determine the best pole vaulter in America's schedule?
-- there could be a 1000 factors keeping Stuczynski close to home (illness in the family, committing 6 days away from home, maybe she could only committ 1 day to pole vault instead of 6? or personal reasons that are not your business)

3. She does not live in Idaho, California, Washington where you can be there in a hour on a plane. From NY can be a all day travel.

4. The last 2 yrs she attended the Summit, meets, fullfilled all the obligations of elite vaulters and helped run the pit next to me and signed anything for kids and was very encouraging.

5. Reno is not always a possiblity and it is NOT REQUIRED BY ANY MEANS

--IF you TWO are so good at determining schedules you should call her agent or coach and tell them that the meets SHE SHOULD BE JUMPING

It's people like you two that LIKE to cause controversy and negativity that hurt the sport. Bashing your American Record Holder and not embracing what she has done for the sport is a DISGRACE.

the list of others that did not attend is too large to list....

The only reason elite women would say anything bad about her would be out of pure jealousy.

If you've never met and talked to her like I have...DON'T JUDGE HER.

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:44 pm

You are mistaken and incorrectly taking offense because the comments weren't meant to be derogatory. Anyone that knows me knows that I never say anything negative about anyone in public or private. I look for the good in people. That’s fun!! When threads become personal I remove myself as I will here. It's a useless endeavor.

Contrary to your perception I like Jenn very much and don't like the negative attention she's getting. I have no personal issues or involvement. In my 42 years in this sport I just know a lot of athletes and coaches and this is what THEY were talking in about in Reno and I reported it. It goes along with that freedom of speech thing. Bubba

30yrs-coaching
PV Beginner

Unread postby 30yrs-coaching » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:54 pm

YOU HAVE CHOICE to report something positive or negative. YOU could have said "GREAT that she jumped a good jump after a long injury rehab" but INSTEAD you REPORTED all the NEGATIVE. You chose to be negative. So why don't you SUPPORT instead of REPORT if you find the good in people like you say?

SO keep starting fights and then hide behind the lockers.

Yeah you probably ought to remove yourself from the post since you started it!

I am an American Pole Vaulter and will defend my American Record Holder... you should try it.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”