BREAKING NEWS Justin Gatlin Tests Positive!!!!!

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

BREAKING NEWS Justin Gatlin Tests Positive!!!!!

Unread postby russvault » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:35 pm

Updated: July 29, 2006, 8:06 PM ET
Olympic champ Gatlin says he failed drug test in AprilESPN.com news services

Reigning Olympic and world 100-meter champion Justin Gatlin said Saturday he has been informed that he tested positive for testosterone or its precursors.

"I have been informed by the United States Anti-doping Agency that after a relay race I ran in Kansas City on April 22, I tested positive for 'testosterone or its precursors,'" Gatlin said in a statement.

Gatlin's attorney, Cameron Myler, told Reuters in a telephone call from New York, "It is unfortunate, but it is true."

Myler also confirmed that the 24-year-old Gatlin's "B" sample was tested in July and again showed an unusually high level of testosterone. The sprinter now faces a lifetime ban from the sport.

Gatlin positioned himself as a leader in trying to prove track and field is a clean sport.

"I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorized anyone else to administer such a substance to me," Gatlin said. "In the course of my entire professional career, I have been tested more than 100 times. ... All of the tests this season, including the out-of-competition and in-competition tests conducted just before and after the race in Kansas, were negative."

Gatlin, the co-world record holder with Jamaica's Asafa Powell at 100 meters, is coached by Trevor Graham, whose former pupils include Tim Montgomery and Marion Jones, both of whom have both been prominently mentioned in the BALCO steroids investigation. Several athletes coached by Graham have been suspended or banned for doping.

Gatlin said he was "particularly sensitive to this issue" because he tested positive in college for a banned substance contained in Adderall, which he took to calm attention deficit disorder. He served a two-year ban in international competition after that infraction, meaning another positive test could result in a lifetime ban.

"That experience made me even more vigilant to make certain that I not come into contact with any banned substance for any reason whatsoever, because any additional anti-doping rule offense could mean a lifetime ban from the sport that I love," Gatlin said.

Asked about Gatlin's statement, USADA spokesman Carla O'Connell did not confirm knowledge of the tests.

Later, USADA CEO Terry Madden released a statement that made no mention of Gatlin.

"USADA will not comment on the facts of any active case since the rules we follow allow for a full and fair process prior to the details of any case being made public," Madden said. "Anyone accused of a doping violation has a right to have his or her case determined on the evidence through the established process and not on any other basis."

USA Track and Field, however, acknowledged Gatlin's statement.

"USA Track & Field is gravely concerned that Justin Gatlin has tested positive for banned substances," USATF executive director Craig Masback said in a statement on the federation's Web site. "Justin has been one of the most visible spokespersons for winning with integrity in the sport of track and field, and throughout his career he has made clear his willingness to take responsibility for his actions."

Information from the Associated Press and Reuters was used in this report.

Jennapv
PV Fan

Unread postby Jennapv » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:02 pm

I read that Graham is saying that a massage therapist rubbed testosterone cream on Gatlin's legs without his knowledge...hmmm.
"Twenty more, Cass."

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:06 pm

Jennapv wrote:I read that Graham is saying that a massage therapist rubbed testosterone cream on Gatlin's legs without his knowledge...hmmm.

I heard that too. But that seems too far fetched.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:57 am

Jennapv wrote:I read that Graham is saying that a massage therapist rubbed testosterone cream on Gatlin's legs without his knowledge...hmmm.

Gatlin is not standing behind that story.

Graham has had so many athletes test positive for drugs that he has now been banned from USOC training centers, and all of his athletes were just banned from a major German meet.

Jennapv
PV Fan

Unread postby Jennapv » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:52 am

My "hmmmm" was used in place of "yeah right". I defintely don't believe Graham's story, just wanted to write that that was what he was saying.
"Twenty more, Cass."

Return to “General Track and Field”