High Jumper Dies

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

High Jumper Dies

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:16 pm

This is a very sad article... I think we can all relate after everything that happened last year :(

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... sid=699235

7th-grader recalled as bubbly and active

BY JENA JANOVY

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

GURLEY, Neb. - A 12-year-old Dalton, Neb., girl who died over the weekend from head injuries suffered at track practice is being remembered as a beautiful, energetic seventh-grader who loved to sing, play the clarinet, compete on her school's quiz bowl team and play sports.

Meagan Wiedeman, who attended Leyton Junior High in Gurley, died Saturday after being injured March 24 while attempting the high jump at an indoor track practice at her junior high school. She missed the mat and hit her head.

"She was involved in about everything," said Leyton Schools Superintendent Bill Pile. "She was active in youth groups. She was a bouncy, bubbly young lady, an awesome kid."

Meagan's father, Dave Wiedeman, is the boys basketball coach and the boys track coach at Class D-1 Leyton High School in Dalton. He was at the high school when the accident happened. He said his daughter was responsive when the Gurley rescue squad arrived within two minutes of the accident.

"She was taken to Sidney within a matter of about 25 or 30 minutes from the accident," he said. "The response was just fabulous. They did all they could to get her there and give her a chance. It was just a tragic accident."

Wiedeman said Meagan was responsive during the first 24 hours, and even spoke to her parents and showed signs that she wasn't hurt that badly. But early Wednesday, she underwent surgery to relieve the swelling and pressure on her brain.

"The swelling got so severe," he said. "After the surgery, she really showed not too much response. It just got worse and worse after that."

Because Meagan was brain-dead, Wiedeman said, the family decided to donate her organs.

"She is living in five other people, we hope," Wiedeman said. "We're hoping to heighten donor awareness and to tell everyone we know that she's in a better place. But it's pretty hard to let go."

Services are scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday at her family's church, Gering Zion Church in Gering, Neb.

"Our friends and family and the people from the community have been just fantastic," Wiedeman said. "We didn't know we had so many people who cared. And the people who prayed for us and our daughter . . . there were prayer chains all over."

Meagan, who also played volleyball, basketball, soccer and softball, would have turned 13 on May 6.

Her death occurred three years to the day after a Gering High School pole vaulter died from hitting his head. Nathan Dean, then a senior at Gering High School, died March 29, 2000, after suffering a head injury while practicing the pole vault. He bounced off the side of the pole-vault pit and hit his head twice on the asphalt slab beyond the pit.

Between 1983 and 2001, there were 15 fatal pole-vaulting injuries in high schools nationwide, according to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. Statistics were not available for junior high fatalities related to the high jump.

The Nebraska School Activities Association, which governs students' participation in grades nine through 12, does not oversee junior high schools or keep records of injuries involving junior high students. The NSAA's catastrophic insurance policy also does not cover non-NSAA schools, including Leyton Junior High.

"You always hate to see a kid injured, and when it's a catastrophic injury it's terribly regrettable," said NSAA Executive Director Jim Tenopir. "Our thoughts and prayers are certainly with them."

In addition to her father, Meagan is survived by her mother, Sherri; her brother, John; and grandparents Ed and Betty Wiedeman of Gering and Bob and Joann Skanadore of Gordon, Neb.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:49 pm

why did they have to associate the pole vault in this article?
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

StickJumper
PV Nerd

Over and over I hear...

Unread postby StickJumper » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:58 pm

articles of people getting hurt at track practice or vaulters doing something stupid at a meet. However, look at every single article within the last 2 years (the ones I myself am prevalent to), and everytime someone is hurt is a cause of 1 of 2 things:

1. Improper coaching and lack of supervision.
2. Unyielding (illegal!) surfaces in and around the areas of contest.

When was the latest you've heard of an athlete being injured due to human error, that did not involve the area around them being an assistant to the damages done. The PV'er bounced off a pit and hit CONCRETE. Same with the HJ'er. It's the improper surfaces that are hurting kids when they would otherwise be okay. The question is: Who is allowing for these illegal areas to be competed on, in, and around if mandatory coaches' clinics are held and the state has provisions against it?
"Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been."
Ryan Fussell- Pole Peddlers Admin.
http://www.polepeddlers.com

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:17 am

well i wouldn't say EVERY injury is b/c of improper coaching or inefficient facilities, but a very good amount of the fatal ones sure are. sure with good, legal facilities and proper coaching our sport can be made as SAFE AS POSSIBLE, but i will also be the first to conceed that our sport is an inherently dangerous one. i may have some of the best coaching and best facilities available (can't complain about hayward field), but i consciously know that for every jump i have a chance of getting hurt. although this may be why our sport has been attacked so much lately, i also think it is why we are so addicted and in love with it. the element of danger is what sucks us all in.

StickJumper
PV Nerd

Agreed

Unread postby StickJumper » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:54 am

MESSED UP, SEE BELOW
Last edited by StickJumper on Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

StickJumper
PV Nerd

Agreed

Unread postby StickJumper » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:55 am

I wholeheartedly agree. Coaches are not entirely and in many cases aren't to blame at all. The associations that allow such facilities to be in use should accept some of the penalty themselves.

As vaulters we assume much of the risk, but someone teaches everyone. Frankly, I think the only requirement for one to be a vaulter, is a 16.2% level of insanity.

I'm going to try and find an article from when I was passing through KY. It was a paper one year to the day of the death of the vaulter at Penn State. It highlights deaths in the states in the PV for the last 21 or so years, and the number is somewhere around 8. However, the # of serious injury (broken bones) is pretty high. Still yet, I agree, as a PV'er, we assume a lot of risk when the coach asks us to compete, but hey, NO GUTS, NO GLORY!
"Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been."

Ryan Fussell- Pole Peddlers Admin.

http://www.polepeddlers.com

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:50 pm

lol...where'd you pull 16.2%? well, i think all the vaulters at my school meet if not exceed that minimum :P
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

Return to “General Track and Field”