Something new

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
nzsprinter
PV Nerd

Something new

Unread postby nzsprinter » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:03 am

Well since Becca said i caould write anything in these forums. I might as well write this... So if you guys didn't know yet i'm at the university of Washington. I'm a sprinter/jumper for them at the moment and i tried and loved pole vault last year but my coach won't let me do it this year. Well does anyone know how to sprint with longer strides??. Let me explain this. Well i'm pretty short 5'6'' and i have trouble lengthening my strides i seem to do "a" drills (a drill where you kind of stomp your feet down fast). so anyone know how to fix this problem , i hate having to run 2 steps for every 1 step someone else is doing :-)

CoachenField
PV Beginner

Unread postby CoachenField » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:49 am

check out www.charliefrancis.com - a lot of sprint coaches yakking away on there, maybe you can pick up some good pointers...

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:22 pm

If I were you I wouldnt conciously think about lengthening your stride length. Alls that will do is get you injured.....believe me! The only way to really increase your EFFECTIVE stride length is through training (plyos and other dynamic movements.) dynamic stretching is good too. I see alot of people really forcing there runs (guilty) and trying to run with as much power as possible. In my belief you cant force power or stride length. Either you got or ya dont.

Geoff
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

Return to “General Track and Field”