Overspeed Training?

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Overspeed Training?

Unread postby MattM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:05 am

I posted this in general track and field because this topic relates to overspeed training and how it may benefit sprinters in the 100-400 meter categories.

Hey guys, so I'm wanting to quicken my 100 and 200 meter times. When researching what I need to do to become faster, I came across overspeed training. For anyone who does not know what this is, overspeed training is when you use a device (such as running down hill, a pulley system, a bungee, etc) to run faster than possible without the device. The goal of overspeed training is to allow your body to perform at speeds more similar to during the overspeed training, and thus increasing your maximum achievable velocity.

What are your guys' opinions on overspeed training? My school does not have any overspeed training equipment, but I'm serious about trying to improve, would it be worth it for me to buy the necessary equipment? Thankyou, Matt. :)

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Overspeed Training?

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 am

If overspeed training is as you described, then I guess running up hills or stairs would be called underspeed training.

It's advantage is that you get high knee action and a greater than normal resistance. So when you run on the flat runway, you psychologically feel faster than on the hills or stairs ... and you lift your knees higher ... and your legs are stronger due to the extra resistance.

I'm not sure what overspeed training would feel like ... but it seems like it would have the opposite (negative) effect.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions about this ... this is just IMHO.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

MattM
PV Nerd

Unread postby MattM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:31 am

It's advantage is that you get high knee action and a greater than normal resistance. So when you run on the flat runway, you psychologically feel faster than on the hills or stairs ... and you lift your knees higher ... and your legs are stronger due to the extra resistance.

While you are true that doing stair/hill training will benefit you, I think you're a bit off by correlating that inversely with overspeed training. Let's look at what you said about training by running hills, it makes you lift your knees higher and makes you stronger. These are the pros of hill training. So now let's look at the possible pros of overspeed training, by running faster through the use of a bungee or downhill, you will be increasing your stride length and increasing the frequency of your steps.

When combining the two, you have more strength, a longer stride with higher knees, and a faster frequency of steps. Combine this with running technique drills and it sounds like you've got a pretty good exercise regimen to overall, make you a better sprinter.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 pm

MattM wrote: While you are true that doing stair/hill training will benefit you, I think you're a bit off by correlating that inversely with overspeed training. Let's look at what you said about training by running hills, it makes you lift your knees higher and makes you stronger. These are the pros of hill training. So now let's look at the possible pros of overspeed training, by running faster through the use of a bungee or downhill, you will be increasing your stride length and increasing the frequency of your steps.

When combining the two, you have more strength, a longer stride with higher knees, and a faster frequency of steps. Combine this with running technique drills and it sounds like you've got a pretty good exercise regimen to overall, make you a better sprinter.

I actually think your idea has some merit ... when mixed with flatland running and uphill running. I actually had some good experience running on a gradual downslope over a 10K run ... and it does give you a nice, different cadence to your run, as compared to all flatland. I know 10K road-racing is a lot different than sprinting down a runway, but I'm just saying that I can appreciate SOME downhill training ... as long as you also do SOME uphill training. If I had my druthers, I'd rather focus more on flatland and uphill than downhill.

But you do raise a very good idea. I'd appreciate some comments from someone that can analyze this more from the scientifically proven or from the theoretical biological benefits aspect ... rather than just the kinisthetic or psychological FEEL of running downhill ... which is all we've discussed thus far.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:04 am

From what I know, over speed training is used for recruitment of motor units with in the muscles, much like lifting for strength. The body's natural tendency is to be lazy and conserve as much energy as possible, so there are muscle fibers that lay dormant within the body. It doesn't magically increase stride length, and the only way it will is if by recruiting muscle fibers you can apply more force through the ground. Also the increased stride frequency works the Central Nervous system, which is an important component in sprinting. There is a time in the year to do over-speed training, and that is when you a drawing close to your "peak" in your training cycle.
Stadiums and up-hill runs are better for early in the season, the are slower moving sprints reinforcing power and sprint mechanics (knee's up & toes up,)
Over-speed would be when your trying to reach top sprint form, and you can't do them for very long because they are pretty stressful on the Nervous system.

I am sure EIUVaulter can add a lot more, this is field of expertise
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Flyer Coach
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School/College coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby Flyer Coach » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Kirk is correct on this. The soviets used this speed assisted or "overspeed" training all the way back in the early 1970's. They towed a guy named Valeri Borzov behing a motorbike. The idea was the bike was overcoming the effects of gravity/inertia, thus the nervous system was forced to fire the muscles at a higher rate of speed. While Valeri maintained the same power, his nervous system had been trained to fire at a higher rate of speed than it had every been able to do before. Result, same stride length but higher stride frequency, result = better times. Valeri won the 100m gold in the 1972 Olympics. He also had an Olympic bronze and a gold in the 200. I'm sure he had a relay medal and I think another in the 1976 100. This is all from memory, so give me a break.

He is correct that it should only be used near the end of the season in preparation for your big meets. I've had high school females in the 100m hurdles drop from 15.14 to 14.79, 14.93 to 14.72 in a 3.5 week peaking phase. At the NAIA level, I had a freshman come in with a hs pr of 13.78. She only broke 14 once leading up to the paking phase and that was only 13.98. At Nationals, she had life time prs. of 13.74 prelims, 13.65 semis, and 13.50 finals. She represented Canada in the Jr. Worlds that summer. It really works and the top speed only needs to be maintained for about 30 meters. Again the nervous system fatigues very quickly.

I'm retired and only working with HS vaulters on a voluteer basis. I'm thinking about doing overspeed with them at the end. However, where we are right now technique wise, they couldn't handle the speed anyway. We'll see.

BTW, Borsov married a hottie from the Soviet gymnasitcs team named Ludmilla Turischeva. He was, maybe still is, the IOC representative from the Ukraine.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Hey don't you mean I agree with Kyle? not Kirk? Please don't get us confused :crying: just kidding kirk :P ;)
On a whole new level 6-20-09

MattM
PV Nerd

Unread postby MattM » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:46 am

Great responses, thanks guys. :)

He is correct that it should only be used near the end of the season in preparation for your big meets.

How much time do you consider near the end? And how often should overspeed training be done when it is the appropriate time of the season for it?

Flyer Coach
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School/College coach
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby Flyer Coach » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:21 am

Sorry about that Kyle.

I don't have any solid research behind this, only what I've done over the years. I usually start 3.5 weeks before the big meet we are pointing for i.e. State, Regionals, Nationals, etc. I've started with 3 overspeed bursts per session for the first 2 sessions and worked my way up to 5 per session. I start at 3 times per week with a recovery day and usually only get to 4 per week. Obviously, at this time of the season, we are cutting back on the overall workload. With hurdlers, I am also moving the hurdles closer together to force the rhythm I for the goal time. I use the standard touchdown chart developed along time ago. With the college girl, we also overspeed hurdling by having her start about 20 to 25 meter back and hit the 1st hurdle at high speed with full spacing.

I have had the best success using the bungee with sprinters and hurdlers. I like overspeed with middle distance kids but prefer the gradual downhill as they struggle with the intensity of the bungee. Also, even with hurdlers, only do the bungee on the flat. I had a friend, won't use his name because he is fairly well knkown in college circles, who watchd be use the bungee at a camp and decided to use it with his hurdlers. He tried to pull a girl over the barriers with a bungee. Between bruises and scrapes, the poor kid looked like a Dalmation for a few weeks.

I also worked with a local hs hurdler/heptathlete who dropped from around 14.0 to the 13.60's. Howeveer that 13.60's was windaided and I oly did a few sessions with the bungee. I gave it to her so she could use it with her local coach, but I can't say if she really used it or not.

knyra
PV Newbie
Expertise: 1st year coach
Lifetime Best: na

Unread postby knyra » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:01 pm

I like the question and answers that were given. My question is what were the distances used while training with the overspeed pullies. I was thinking of starting out with 30 meters and working up to 70 meters with 3x4-5 one day a week. What do you think about the training distances above? How much recovery time is , one day or more, is needed. Should the athlete ice the big leg muscles after such a workout? The only overspeed pully system i've found is the one from gill athletes and it appears to some type of cord, nylon maybe. Is a rope type or bungee type better or more consistant. Thank you for your time and sharing your wisdom and experience.
1st year H.S. coach California

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Just some thoughts, in terms of the use of 'overspeed training' it is a legitimate/good way to neurologically train, however as many neurological methods do, it does have its dark sides. Everything in moderation... One of the keys to having it be useful, is to use it with/have impeccable sprint technique, this is because with poor mechanics inexperienced athletes end up putting energy forward (into braking as heal strike is manipulated from directly under the body to in front of the body) just trying to keep up with the negative resistance. To help ensure that this doesn't happen, using a minimal hill, to the point that it is almost unnoticeable or on the track, running with a mild/medium tail wind is ideal. The ultimate goal is not to have the athletes run quickly during the drill, but rather, it is to take away some resistance when running allowing to maintain proper technique while achieving a quicker turn over.

Some people will disagree with me saying you want a sizable hill, I disagree with that because to maintain proper sprint technique that alone will probably increase the possibility of a fall or a counterbalance within the body. Also running down hill feels easier and it is, however it increases the ground reaction force enough so that when the body strikes the ground, it can cause damage to the feet. Inexperienced athletes are going to be more likely to damage feet/shins because they are striking the ground with more than their normal running ground reaction force, however they may not be aware that is happening... yadda

It can be used with a bungee as stated above, am not a fan of the bungee method only because it places an external force within the body. When tied around the hips the athlete now also needs to deal with that pressure which is not really ever there in real situations, and just learning where to place the pelvis/hips in running is a huge part so hindering that aspect is not great (in my mind) But it defiantly is a good way to achieve this 'overspeed'.

anyway, just some thoughts
cheers,
-bel

Return to “General Track and Field”