Trying to Become a Decathlete

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
TrackF@N89
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Trying to Become a Decathlete

Unread postby TrackF@N89 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 am

Hey well let me first explain myself. I am currently in college and I have been thinking about walking on the track team as soon as next year and I would possibly like to try to do so in the decathlon (note: my schools best decathlete is in the mid 5,000 area). I have not run track since high school, but I believe I have the skill set in order to excel in the decathlon I have only ever competed in two events that are in the decathlon, those being the 100m and 400m in which I have a PR of 11 flat and 51.5 in each respective event, My question is how does one like myself get started? I really do not have anyone that can teach me all the mechanics and fundamentals of all the throws, jumps. etc. Is it better to just improve on my high school events and walk on with better times in those and then ask about possibly being a decathlete. Also if anyone has a training regiment for the decathlon I would love to see it.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Trying to Become a Decathlete

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:57 am

TrackF@N89 wrote: ... My question is how does one like myself get started? ...

It's getting rather late in the summer track season, but I would start by participating in some summer "fun" meets. Just go in as many events as you can ... especially the 8 decathlon events that you've never competed in before. Try to do your best of course, but don't worry about your heights, distances, or times. Just compete for the fun of it.

PV is quite a bit more technical than most other events, so you're going to be jumping very, very low to start. Hopefully, the starting height in these "fun" meets will be low enough for you. HJ is similar, in that there's some minimal starting height. Maybe hold off competing in these 2 until you've had some decent training. In all the other events, the worst you can do is embarass yourself ... so go for it!

Once you get a few events under your belt, you will either "get the bug" ... or not. You'll also be meeting other athletes at these competitions, and get a chance to find out where they train, and if you're able to train with them. By chatting it up with the other athletes at these meets, you'll also get lots of friendly coaching advice.

Good luck ... and remember that the most important thing is to ENJOY the experience! :yes:

When college starts again in the fall, you can tell the coach what you did in the "fun" summer meets, and take it from there. He'll either let you train with the team ... as long as you don't get in the way ... or not. Your attitude and enthusiasm here will be just as important ... if not more important ... than your marks.

If he doesn't see you as a potential point-getter for the team, you can always suck up by becoming an "equipment manager". i.e. help set up the HJ and PV pits, and whatever else you need to do to show your dedication and willingness to help the team.

TrackF@N89 wrote: Is it better to just improve on my high school events and walk on with better times in those and then ask about possibly being a decathlete.

You don't "ask" to become a decathlete. YOU decide to become a decathlete (or at least a multiple event track athlete) and compete wherever you can, whenever you can. Over time, with a dedicated training regimen, you will BECOME a decathlete. Actually, you'll become a decathlete after the first meet where you compete all 10 events. From there, the sky's the limit. It's all up to you.

By the way, why are you posting this on a PV forum?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:32 am

hye

without knowing you physically... i think the absolute first place to start is the dicus and high jump. if you have some potential there.. I would then test you in the long jump. which i consider the best test of potential ability.

that done.. load your training with hurdles.. this will give you speed and agility for all the other events. high hurdle "loops" - 5 down 5 back at 7 meters apart. low hurdles from the blocks to get the speed and steps correct.

and THEN.. drill the vault.. in warm-up and warm down.. in the gym.. on the rope and high bar...

good luck

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:26 am

KirkB wrote:
TrackF@N89 wrote:You don't "ask" to become a decathlete. YOU decide to become a decathlete (or at least a multiple event track athlete) and compete wherever you can, whenever you can. Over time, with a dedicated training regimen, you will BECOME a decathlete. Actually, you'll become a decathlete after the first meet where you compete all 10 events. From there, the sky's the limit. It's all up to you.

Yes and no. Yes, I suppose anyone can become a decathlete on their own, but if you want to be a college decathlete, there is definitely asking involved.

I honestly don't think too many college coaches will let you even try it, given that you have already burned eligibility just by being in school, and you have never done a single field event.

If you do have any natural abilities in the field events, you'd better find yourself an all-comers meet and prove it.

Coaching a decathlete is a huge commitment for a college coach, and I don't think too many are willing to invest that time in someone that "thinks" they might be good at it. (So you'd better find some way to back up your theories)

Return to “General Track and Field”