Womens Decathlon

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Womens Decathlon

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:21 pm

http://yakoushkin.com/track/womens_dec_all-time.htm

So how come you do not see it regularly. Or not integrated to the collegiate or national level.

I mean i guess I know why women traditional do the Hep, because in the olden days they didn't think women could do as man or as intense of events, and they also did not have women pole vault. But now there is no reason for them not to except for the top Hep athletes would be out of a job.

decanuck
PV Whiz

Re: Womens Decathlon

Unread postby decanuck » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:45 pm

http://yakoushkin.com/track/why_there_should_not_be_a_womens_dec.htm
...and while they're at it they should ban women's 400mH, steeple chase, hammer, triple jump, and Pole vault because girls can't do any of them. And they should cut the distance of every track event over 200m by a third and lower the sprint hurdles to 30" because they're too high right now.

--OR--

VaultPurple wrote:But now there is no reason for them not to except for the top Hep athletes would be out of a job.

That is exactly the reason. Stupid, isn't it? It's like when countries don't switch to the metric system.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:55 pm

I liked Yakoushin's satire! :D

I especially liked this one ...
6. Real female athletes should not try to vault – they should play beach volleyball, where their bodies will be better appreciated.
Comments?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:45 pm

KirkB wrote:I especially liked this one ...
6. Real female athletes should not try to vault – they should play beach volleyball, where their bodies will be better appreciated.
Comments?

That one made me laugh out loud! I think it's sarcastic-- it ironically alludes to the reputation of female pole vaulters for being the most attractive bunch of athletes on the track, and pokes fun at beach volleyball for the same. The only difference is that beach volleyball did it deliberately and took heat for it--female competitors are limited to uniforms of very revealing maximum dimensions, while men have no such restrictions. Pole vaulters, on the other hand, have an equal reputation without it being forced upon them by the sport (thus they are taken more seriously than beach volleyball).

Return to “General Track and Field”