Women's decathlon needs a hero

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
varska
PV Wannabe

Women's decathlon needs a hero

Unread postby varska » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:18 pm

It seemed like a few years ago the feeling was that since women's pole vault was now established, the decathlon wouldn't be far behind. But from what I've been able to gather, it seems that a majority of coaches (esp in Europe), that had an investment in their heptathletes weren't too keen on bringing on the decathlon since it would likely make their athletes obsolete . (true or not, I've heard this was the sentiment). So - the move for a womens decathlon seems to have been shelved for now. (I know Washington State has it for their high school girls and there are a couple regional comps - I'm taking about Olympics and WC's)

What i want to know is if we can take a lesson from the way the women's PV was brought to the international stage. Who was the person who challenged the establishment and through what channels did he or she work to make womens vaulting a reality back in the 90's?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Women's decathlon needs a hero

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:28 pm

Nadine O'Conner is my women's decathlon hero :rose: :star:

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:48 pm

Well, I do not know who brought the women's vault to the international stage but I believe Jan Johnson was at the forefront of bringing it to the high school level. Maybe you should consult with him as he posts on here sometimes.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:07 am

I am personally a fan of Gigi Johnson my self... she keeps people in line at practice, and makes some damn good cookies.

Although i would like to see a female Dec at the international level, I know some female Multis who say the would probably want to retire than learn the vault...

Return to “General Track and Field”