Saudi Woman says we'll get around to women's sports eventual

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Saudi Woman says we'll get around to women's sports eventual

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:55 am

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cf ... 8082014928

Oh, their humanity!
By Sabria S. Jawhar
The West is beating us Saudis over the head again with another lecture. And our crime this time around is that we didn’t field any female athletes for the Olympics in Beijing.
Oh, their humanity! Every time I read these insufferable, hectoring diatribes from the West about these perceived daily abuses heaped on Saudi women I silently wish that we ignore them, dig in our heels, and in this case, keep women from participating in the Olympics. It’s the passive-aggressive reaction I have to enduring such arrogant and condescending writing.
Here is the criticism (their words) from mostly Western women journalists: Saudi Arabia is a backward country because it bans women from competing in the Olympics. There is no excuse because there are Islamic appropriate clothing for women athletes. Oh, and Saudi Arabia is a bad place because it has no government approved physical education programs for women. Oman, Yemen and the United Arab Emirates have women athletes competing so what is the deal with Saudi Arabia?
What is so arrogant is that these Western writers presume to speak for Saudi women, although they have never spoken to a Saudi woman, much less would know what to say if they ever had the chance (“Do you wear your abaya when you are at home?” one big city Western female reporter once asked me. I felt like replying that not only do I wear it at home, but also when I go to bed so people in my dreams don’t see me).
I hate to say this about my Saudi sisters, but I don’t think there are many women in the country that can even qualify for the Olympics. Maybe in 2012 or 2016, but not now. Most of my friends are pampered and lazy. They don’t even want to go to the mall if it means walking more than 15 metres from the car to the entrance.
I am not much different. Last year after I arrived at my new flat in the United Kingdom I had to haul a television set up a flight of stairs by myself. After I did it, I cried a bit because I was so tired. Then I sulked around the flat railing against the injustice of having to do hard labor. Then I cried a bit more when I remembered I didn’t have my maid to draw me a bath to soothe my aching muscles. But then I got myself a big bowl of Chunky Monkey ice cream and a slice of chocolate cake and I felt much better.
But all kidding and sarcasm aside, as a Saudi female I certainly believe that Saudi women deserve the opportunity to participate in the Olympics or any international sporting competition.
There are probably many Saudi girls eager to participate in sports and they shouldn’t be denied the chance. Within the limits of modesty there is no good reason to deny girls the right to play soccer, cricket or to run track or pole vault. Yes, there is sports attire worn by Muslim women in other Arab countries that is appropriate. There is nothing wrong with working up a good sweat. It’s healthy for the body and for the mind.
Our critics, though, are an impatient lot. Everything has to be done today. The last time somebody got impatient, a defenseless Muslim country was invaded and tens of thousands of civilians died as a result.
And impatience is rearing its ugly head again because another Muslim country refuses to buckle under the threats of the so-called leader of the free world.
Our critics have conveniently forgotten that girls’ physical education has been a hot topic in the Saudi press and is often the center of media coverage. They seem to forget that it’s been part of our country’s dialogue. Or the fact there are organized women’s soccer teams that play in competition.
We are moving in the right direction at a pace that is comfortable for Saudi society, not Western society. I happen to believe that our patience will pay off.
As we continue to be assaulted by the criticism of the West, perhaps now is the time to take note of their hypocrisy. When the time comes for Saudi women to participate in international sporting events, are we expected to adhere to Western standards of the games? Will we be considered a backward country if we object to women beach volleyballers playing in their underwear as we see on television to increase male viewership? Will we be considered a backward country if we don’t starve our 16-year-old girls to 36 kilos so they can compete in gymnastics? Will we be considered a backward country if don’t pump our swimmers and runners with steroids?
For all the huffing and puffing from the media, perhaps the West should get its own house in order before they come to ours to pass judgment.

Return to “General Track and Field”