training tips with no track

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
dec6477
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former College Decathlon Vaulter (14-9), HS Coach

training tips with no track

Unread postby dec6477 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:26 pm

I have some very good female high school athletes, good enough that we have won 17 dual meets in a row over the last 3 years, but in the postseason they get handicapped because we do not have a track to train on...is there any sprint training that i can do in grass that can help them, i am specifically looking for 200-400m training.....i have a group of girls that run sub 27 and sub 62 with a lot of potential...if you are an experienced coach in this situation, give me a tip or two...i do have access to a track one evening a week for like 45 minutes at a neighboring high school.

Thanks.... :yes:

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: training tips with no track

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm no experienced coach, but maybe I have a good idea for you. Try using an empty parking lot for a lot of the running. I'm sure you could work something out with your AD about closing off a piece of your high school parking lot during evenings where there is nothing happening.

And the weight room is always good too...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:46 am

powerplant42 wrote:I'm no experienced coach, but maybe I have a good idea for you. Try using an empty parking lot for a lot of the running. I'm sure you could work something out with your AD about closing off a piece of your high school parking lot during evenings where there is nothing happening.

That sounds like a good way to get shin splints, which is probably why this coach asked for workouts on the grass.

dec6477
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former College Decathlon Vaulter (14-9), HS Coach

Unread postby dec6477 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:11 am

I run on pavement for like 20 minutes a week for a little bit of speed work, but avoid it at other times, what excersises in the weightroom helps with explosion/speed?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:25 am

"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

gfilosa
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby gfilosa » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:00 pm

powerplant42 wrote:I'm no experienced coach, but maybe I have a good idea for you. Try using an empty parking lot for a lot of the running. I'm sure you could work something out with your AD about closing off a piece of your high school parking lot during evenings where there is nothing happening.

I'm not advocating training on asphalt, but my high school had the same problem. Our coach measured out a 300 meter oval in the school parking lot and that where we had our speed workouts. It worked out good for us, when I graduated we (Bishop McDevitt [Wyncote]) had won our 12th Philadelphia Catholic League title in a 14 year span. The odd thing is I cannot remember experiencing shin splints once in high school... go figure. But again, as I coach now, I would avoid having to use a parking lot for practice.

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:56 am

hill sprints can be good... not only does sprinting up hills help build speed, but it also encourages good technique becaus you need to use high knees...

another thing is to do dynamics while concentrating dorsoflexing the ankle (toe pointing up)

one thing our cc team does is train around the baseball fields... we measured out 100, 200, and 400 meters along the outfield fence and used that for speedwork... you could use something like that for repeats

Return to “General Track and Field”