wacky high jump (huffman Role?)

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

wacky high jump (huffman Role?)

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMW9l94PnkY

i got a video of this guy saterday high jumping, this is an attempt at 6'2 that he barely misses but he got 4th with 6 foot.

he basicaly just jumps it like a hurdle!

im pretty sure this is this guys first time high jumping

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Na... That is a drill that high jumpers do, most do it to get warmed up.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:48 pm

no im quite serious .... that is how he jumped, i watched him do it for all his tries! he finialy started coming in a little side ways and stretching when the bar was this high, but at lower hights he basicaly just ran over it like a hurdle from more straight on.... i wish i would have got the videos of him from 5'10 and 6'....

(his coach was also having to sign to him what to do because he was deaf... but aparently that has nothing to do with jumping ability)

KJ
PV Whiz

Unread postby KJ » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:54 pm

some people dont always flop.... i know many people who can jump higher doing other warm up drills than the traditional flop that you see most people doing..... the drill he is doing is also similar to the one they teach you when you are first learning to jump... there are so many different styles of jumping in the high jump..... that way must work best for him!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:46 am

That was the way people jumped before the flop. It BTB2 there's a section that shows the flop vs. the straddle. (chapter 5) He's basically doing the straddle, especially if he started falling sideways.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KJ
PV Whiz

Unread postby KJ » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:05 pm

People also used to role over the bar.... instead of their back to the bar it was there stomach.... i watched some older man set a world record in his age group doing that.... i dont understand how it can be done!!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:42 pm

Sorry folks - the lad is using an even earlier technique than the straddle -called the 'scissors'. In fact although no elite athletes have competed using the scissors for around 100 years it is the floppers equivalent of stiff poling! This is because learning the flop -and only ever using it - is like trying to learn on a flexible pole -you develop bad habits. In the case of the flop this usually means you do a teapot roll - falling back in towards the bar instead of jumping vertically upwards. The scissors teaches you to stay away from the bar and jump vertically - That is why beginners should always start with the scissors and experienced athletes should always use in in their training and warm up for competition. Hope this clears this 'weird' technique up. :yes: :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:29 pm

i have a great picture of my grandfather rolling over something around 2.0m back in the 40s. its a cool picture, ill try to find it
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 am

altius wrote:The scissors teaches you to stay away from the bar and jump vertically - That is why beginners should always start with the scissors and experienced athletes should always use in in their training and warm up for competition. Hope this clears this 'weird' technique up. :yes: :idea:

Exactly. Still, completing an entire competition doing scissors, is unusual.
Swede Stephan Holm jumped 212 cm scissorstyle in practice just prior to Osaka, indicating he was spot on in his preparation. A rookie in PV Lites just got under his skin.....

Scissors is a wonderfull warm up drill and a fairly good indicator of potential. It reveals any tendency to lean towards the bar (you loose balance on the landing). I won't push my athletes towards higher heights on it though. It causes them to crouch after take-off (sometimes during).
Never higher than they are able to do it correctly.

bambam
PV Beginner

Unread postby bambam » Wed May 07, 2008 10:43 am

I put one of my vaulters in the HJ and he cleared 5'8 using the same technique. When I tried to teach him how to flop he could not get over 5'6. He just jumped into the bar.

That technique does show potential, but if you want to be competitive you need to learn how to flop.

If you can scissor 6' you are a 7'+ jumper with a flop
Set your goals high, and don't stop till you get there.
Bo Jackson

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Wed May 07, 2008 11:02 am

bambam wrote:I put one of my vaulters in the HJ and he cleared 5'8 using the same technique. When I tried to teach him how to flop he could not get over 5'6. He just jumped into the bar.

Most likely because the most common fault, is focusing on getting to the pad rather than jump vertically. They lean into the bar. It's a hard habit to break. Could also be caused by the penultimate step being outside the curve.

bambam
PV Beginner

Unread postby bambam » Wed May 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Most likely because the most common fault, is focusing on getting to the pad rather than jump vertically. They lean into the bar. It's a hard habit to break. Could also be caused by the penultimate step being outside the curve.[/quote]

I had him stand on a box and do a backwards jump over the bar to give him the timing feeling over the bar and he did a backflip and ended up sitting on teh edge of the mat with the bar in his lap.
Set your goals high, and don't stop till you get there.

Bo Jackson

Return to “General Track and Field”