Thomas plays down Olympic focus

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:38 am

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/h ... _FOCUS.asp

CMC
Tuesday, December 18, 2007

THOMAS. I'm not even thinking about Beijing right now
NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC) - Bahamian high jump world champion Donald Thomas is playing down focus on the Beijing Olympics next summer as he looks ahead to the start of the new year.

The 23-year-old shot to international prominence this year with a fine win at the Osaka World Championship and although raising the bar to Olympic glory should be the automatic next goal, Thomas says he is not thinking that far ahead.

"I know a lot of people are already talking about me doing great there, but that's not me. I'm not even thinking about Beijing right now. It's just too far ahead," Thomas said in an IAAF website story yesterday.

"You can't look that far in advance. Anything can happen. I'm just taking it one day at a time," Thomas said.

In the meantime, Thomas is planning to spend his Christmas holidays in Panama with his girlfriend and their young son.
"(I) hope to have a great time there with Krystal (girlfriend Krystal Culiolis) and our son, DaShawn," Thomas said.
"DaShawn's just one year old, but he's already looking like an athlete. I think he has the makings," the new Bahamian star added.

Thomas has never been to Panama and while there, he is looking forward to maintaining a training schedule.

He is thinking of linking up with the Panamanian long jump World Champion Irving Saladino.

"I'm hoping to get in some good workouts. I'm even hoping to meet up with Irving Saladino down there. We can compare notes, maybe help each other out. I think there will be a lot we can share," added Thomas, whose pair of 2.35 leaps earned him a share of the world-leading spot on the 2007 year list.

Based in Auburn, Alabama, USA, Thomas is enrolled at Auburn University and working on a Master's Degree in Finance. He had earned his bachelor's degree at Lindenwood University of St Charles, Missouri.

"We're coming back (from Panama) on January 3rd and when I get back to Auburn, I'm going to work at two internships and finish up with one on-line class.
"And then, all going well, I'd have my master's by next May," he said.

Return to “General Track and Field”