deliberate fault in the javelin... why?

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

deliberate fault in the javelin... why?

Unread postby master » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:55 pm

OK. I have no knowledge of strategy in the javelin event. As far as I know you throw it as far as you can without stepping over the foul line. Of course you want the point to stick in the ground, or at least break the surface.

So why did some of the competitors at Osaka deliberately step across the foul line after they threw the javelin and they saw it wasn't one of their better throws?

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: deliberate fault in the javelin... why?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:36 am

master wrote:OK. I have no knowledge of strategy in the javelin event. As far as I know you throw it as far as you can without stepping over the foul line. Of course you want the point to stick in the ground, or at least break the surface.

So why did some of the competitors at Osaka deliberately step across the foul line after they threw the javelin and they saw it wasn't one of their better throws?

- master

Save everyone's time. If it's clearly a worse mark, it speeds up the competition if you purposefully foul.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Foul on purpose

Unread postby drcurran » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:01 pm

Becca is right. When an athlete know it to be a poor effort they foul on purpose (shot, discus, jav, hammer too I guess). But. . . . . you will see some coaches go ballistic because the athlete's second best might be needed to break a tie. Does not happen too often, but when it does. . . .

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

Return to “General Track and Field”