PV to hurdles?

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
g00eY
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby g00eY » Tue May 13, 2008 8:21 pm

The school record holder at my school (Mike Beese, 16'5") was also a hurdler. I can't remember if he did 300, 110, or both, but I think he was decent. I don't think he's that tall either... maybe my height (5'7") or a little more. I've toyed with picking up hurdles, triple jump, and long jump, but I think it's a little late for me now. I've been using this whole year to focus solely on pole vault.
PR - 13'0"

B-town pvc
PV Newbie

Unread postby B-town pvc » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:54 am

I ran the 110s in the 15s and polevaulted 14 feet 9 inches in highschool while doing decathlons.... it is about coaching....teaching you the right form.... and doing the right work outs to get to your fullest potential.....indurance hurdles are one of the hardest workouts you can do to teach you form and its repetion....set up 10 hurdles in one direction and 10 hurdles in the opposite a couple yards apart and do 10 sets of up and back.....and always remember its more about stepping over a hurdle rather than hurdling a hurdle.... Thats when the polevault part comes in....you need a great drive knee in hurdles too....to step over the hurdle.... and then comes your trail leg....even though not in the same postition its still a trail leg and comes through the hurdle like a pole vault trail leg

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: PV to hurdles?

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:30 am

5'9" and you think you're too short? Try the 42" hurdles and being 5'4".... yeah. LOL

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re:

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:00 pm

powerplant42 wrote:So vault3rboy is saying that 5'9'' is too short or what?

For the college hurdles it would be pretty short. 5'9 is not a problem for the high school boys hurdle height.

Definitely an event I recommend vaulters trying, just don't force yourself to take less steps between the hurdles than you can handle. I'd rather see a kid of average speed 4 step the hurdles than stride out badly to try and 3 step them.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Don't triple jump though... It's bad for your heels if you don't spend enough time working on it to learn how to land on each jump the right way.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

ramenvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter

Unread postby ramenvaulter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm originally a hurdler who got turned into a pole vaulter and there are similarities between the two.
I found that the run rhythm in pole vaulting was very similar to hurdling.
Also It wasn't hard for me to run fast since i had been hurdling.
Its not a bad idea just do which one you like more.
PR:12ft
GOAL FOR THIS YEAR:14ft

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:00 pm

Or both. :yes: :idea:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:42 pm

hey

vault to hurdles... hurdles to vault.. that is one of my specialties...

most of my guy vaulters could run low 15's in the hurdles.. and the girls would run 18 or better.. the problem with the girls is they usually need to take 4 steps between the hurdles at first, which means hurdling with either leg.. that is good for rhythm and speed in the vault..

by the way i'm 5-9 and ran 14.1 over the college 42" ers.. it can be done.. if your fast.

I also (just last week) had a high school kid after 2 months of training run 14.4 in his very first race and also his first time to run more than 3 hurdles from the blocks! Junior World champs in 2010!!!

i think i may teach him to vault...

dj

hurdlechick11
PV Newbie

Unread postby hurdlechick11 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:06 pm

yeah i'm a hurdler and a pole vaulter. I think that pole vaulting and hurdling help eachother. Because you need the speed for between the hurdles; speed for sprinting down the runway. And also you need a strong core, hurdling and pole vaulting are the two events that need that the most.

Ramy Yasser
PV Newbie

Unread postby Ramy Yasser » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 pm

i know that the best athletes are the pole vaulters and hurdlers as they have the power and can do a complicated technique and finally they have the good rhythm of steps
Also a pole vaulter can do anything :D so just see what you love more and keep training for it :) :)

ClintonMagus
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent of a Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

For What It's Worth...

Unread postby ClintonMagus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 am

... all of the hurdle coaches at our local schools also coach sprints and not pole vault, with one exception. One of the sprint coaches also coaches pole vault, but only because he was a decathlete and above-average pole vaulter in college. As a coach, he is still jumping nearly 16 feet.

sulli818
PV Beginner
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6
Favorite Vaulter: scott huffman

Unread postby sulli818 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 pm

i want to try hurdles but i think im too slow, because i do distance and polevault. but i am pretty tall, on the chart in an earlier post, 6'3 puts me in the 95 percentile for 20 year olds and im only 15. :D

Return to “General Track and Field”