Donald Thomas

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Donald Thomas

Unread postby wurster490 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:29 pm

http://osaka2007.iaaf.org/news/kind=2/n ... ale+ending

Thursday, 30 August 2007
‘No spikes’ Thomas leaps confidently to a fairy tale ending

Donald Thomas of Bahamas celebrates winning gold in the men's High Jump (Getty Images)
Related News
Related Multimedia

* Donald Thomas of Bahamas celebrates winning gold in the men's High Jump

Osaka, Japan - Praise be, there is still some romance left in international sport!

Eighteen months ago, Donald Thomas was a college basketball player with little knowledge or interest in Track and Field Athletics, but with a talent for winning the occasional dunking contest. Now he is World High Jump champion.

In January, 2006, his spring-heeled expertise on the basketball court led a colleague to speculate that the Bahamian might be able to high jump two metres, but probably not. Always one to rise to a challenge, Thomas jumped 2.11 metres. Two days later, in his first competition since dabbling at High School back in Grand Bahama, Thomas jumped 2.23. He was still wearing basketball shoes. He switched to cross-trainers, and ended his first season as a high jumper on 2.24 metres, a respectable enough mark for a novice.

One year later, on Day Five in Osaka’s Nagai Stadium, wearing Pole Vault shoes, as he has done throughout 2007 – unlike High Jump shoes, they have no spike in the heel – Thomas equalled his best jump of the year, 2.35 metres, and won gold at the IAAF World Championships in Athletics. If that’s not a fairy tale, the Brothers’ Grimm can go back to the Big Sleep forever.

Bahamian athletes regularly punch above their weight in international competition. The ‘Golden Girls,’ the Bahamian sprint relay squad won World and Olympic gold in succession in 1999 and 2000, and the following year, Arvard Moncur took the World 400 metres title in Edmonton 2001. Further back, Troy Kemp won gold in Gothenburg 1995… in the High Jump! All this success comes from a collection of Caribbean Islands with a population of well under half a million. They do however benefit from college scholarships in the USA. But the vast majority have an undying affection and allegiance to the Bahamas. Thomas, who graduated from college in St Louis Missouri, and is now doing at Masters in Auburn, Texas is no different.

One of the first things he said after strolling off the track into the arms of overjoyed Bahamian officials was, “I’m happy to do anything for the Bahamas, it’s the joy of winning for a small country. If my country wants me to do anything, I’ll do it. After prelims (qualifying), I just wanted to get the national anthem played here in Japan, for the folks back home.â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:39 am

Good article

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:50 am

Talk about sour grapes:

http://karlstad.expressen.se/sport/frii ... avla-pajas

Translated from swedish:
"He's a buffoon"
OSAKA. World Champion Donald Thomas scares away youths from high jump.
That is what Stefan Holms dad and coach Johnny Holm feel, and is launching a heavy attack on Thomas.
- He's a buffoon, says Johnny Holm.

Donald Thomas won the WC-final in high jump after clearing 2.35. Still, Johnny Holm does not feel the jumper from Bahamas is a worthy winner.
- To me is it a scandal, that a flutterstyle jumper (not sure how to translate "flaxhoppare", but flutter could describe the action of Thomas' legs) can win the WC. You can see how he jumps. It's not pretty to watch, says Johnny Holm.

But he wins in spite of lousy technique. WHat does that tell you about all the others?

- That is irrelevant. Ioannou from Cyprus who came second (he actually came third...) also has an ugly style. When Stefan disappeared from contention, was I rooting for Rybakov. At least, he's jumping like a real high jumper.
- Had Rybakov won, would we have had a real champion. Now we got one who jumped 12 times on 5 heights. Then you are no worthy winner.

Then you must teach Thomas some techniques?
- I doubt that is possible.

Donald Thomas started training seriously on high jump this january. He used to be a basketball player.
- I knew he would be a tricky guy to have along in a final. You never know where you got him, says Stefan Holm.

"No technique"
Unlike his father, did Stefan congratulate Donald Thomas on his victory.
- Sure, his technique isn't that good. Still, he's the world champion, and that's what counts, says Stefan who's very disappointed on his fourth place.
- I never got that perfect hit. I feel completely empty, but now I'll have to reload for the Finnkampen (Sweden vs. Finnland, an annual match on athletics).

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:09 am

golfdane wrote:Talk about sour grapes:

Gee no kidding. :confused:

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:06 am

I wonder if he shouldn't get into ice dance instead, if he wants to give marks to highjumpers......

At least Stefan Holm is sensible (I think he was chosen as one of the athlete representatives to the IAAF).

All in all, a great WC. Now I have about 35-40 hours of coverage on my harddisk recorder to edit down into specific disciplines, and move to DVD's.

Return to “General Track and Field”