Dan O'Brien's Website

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:02 pm

There are lots of decathletes on here, and no one was really making fun of Dan... just his cheesy website.

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:01 pm

dbulick wrote:I honestly can not believe you guys are ripping Dan O'brien he truely is one of the greatest atheletes to ever compete for this country. I would love to see ya compete in a dec and then tell me how you feel after that 1500. All you "soft" vaulters

AGREE!!!! speaking as a former exclusive vaulter (yes former) and current decathlete, vaulters are soft. Viva Decathletes!!
8700... mark it down

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:26 pm

I'll piss alot off with this, but I agree too!!!!!!!!!! LB

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:04 pm

Even if I had enough talent to do the dec, I'm just far too f-in lazy to do 10 events!

35-40 meters at a time is plenty of running for me! Funny thing is, my VO2 Max tested at 72 in the lab - shoulda done ldr, but how boring is that!?!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:17 pm

I'm too small to be a deca, and too lazy, and weak.... but I'd have to say it still doesn't compare to wrestling. Everything things soft to that. sorry if I make anyone mad

Coach Woody Hayes "Anything easy, aint worth a damn."
Ow

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:28 am

Told you guys he was making a comeback :P

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... 0227134820

Glamour of Athens lures O'Brien back to competition

BOSTON, United States (AFP) - US decathlete Dan O'Brien (news - external web site), the Olympic champion in 1996, will return to competition at the age of 37 lured by the chance to compete in the Athens Games in August.

"Athens. It's all about Greece," O'Brien said in an interview with ESPN. "I think if this was 2008 Beijing, I wouldn't have even given it a second thought.

"This is Athens. if you could win the Olympic decathlon in Athens, I think it will be something special ..."

O'Brien never officially announced his retirement, but he hasn't competed since the 2002 US championships, when he was injured in the 400m.

The three-time decathlon world champion, with titles in 1993, '95 and '97, and former world record-hold hasn't competed in a decathlon since winning the Goodwill Games title in 1998.

"I'm trying to do something nobody else has ever done," said O'Brien, who failed to qualify for the US Olympic team in 1992, won the gold four years later and was injured before the 2000 US Olympic trials and missed the Sydney Games (news - web sites).

"Only two guys went back to back winning gold medals and that was Daley Thompson and Bob Mathias. Nobody has ever missed an Olympics, won a gold, missed an Olympics and won again.

"A decathletes' career is short and this is an incredible challenge," added O'Brien. "My coach and I really think that this is something that would be one for the ages if we can get it done."

As for his preparations, O'Brien said it was too soon to tell how good his chances are.

"It's a little early. I don't take the indoor season that serious.

"I'll just try to train as much as I can and prepare for the outdoor season.

"But the guys around the world are doing very well like Tom Pappas (news - external web site). I try not to look at those times because those guys are younger than I am and ready to go right now. I need the time between now and July's Olympic trials to prepare because I have been out of the sport for a while."

O'Brien said he was confident in several aspects of the 10-discipline event.

"I think my javelin is going to be outstanding, my discus is going to be outstanding, my pole vault outstanding.

"Sprint is going to be a major factor. If I can run 100m and 400m even within a 10th of a second of what I ran in '96 - even '98 - then I have a chance to win the gold this year."

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:35 am

das_1971 wrote:I'm too small to be a deca, and too lazy, and weak.... but I'd have to say it still doesn't compare to wrestling. Everything things soft to that. sorry if I make anyone mad

Coach Woody Hayes "Anything easy, aint worth a damn."

yeah, wrestling is a good sport. i get in arguments with my vaulter friends when i say that other things equal, a wrester would always win a fight. and they take this to mean that any wrestler would win a fight over anyone else, and ignore that i was holding everything else equal, but i still believe it is true.
we converted our decathlete into a full time vaulter this year!

dbulick
PV Fan

Unread postby dbulick » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:06 pm

Any of yall do a Multi at your conference meet this past weekend?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:59 pm

dbulick wrote:Any of yall do a Multi at your conference meet this past weekend?

My teammate Jayne did the pentathlon for the first time at conference and got 3rd :star:

dbulick
PV Fan

Unread postby dbulick » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:23 pm

I had a big PR at Big 12 to get 6th, coulda/shoulda been better, but now its time for outdoor, 10 events here I come.

Return to “General Track and Field”