WADA proposing doping changes

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
SKOT
PV Pro

WADA proposing doping changes

Unread postby SKOT » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:17 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2932016

WADA is looking at changing a couple of rules changes.

First, they want to lengthen the minimum ban to 4 years for people that are deliberatly cheating. In that rule, they want to allow for shorter sanctions for people that are not trying to cheat (like Justin Gatlin's first positive test.)

Secondly, they want to speed up the time between a first positive test and sanctioning. In that, they want to test the "B" sample sooner after learning of a positive "A" sample. To go along with this, they suggested changing some testing and hopefully internal control policies as well.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. If your A test is positive, the B test should be right away. And for people who are deliberately cheating, 4 years definitely is a good start. And for those who aren't trying to cheat, shorter sanctioning sounds pretty fair... doesn't it?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:39 am

And how do you know when the athlete wasn't trying to cheat? Who decides that?
If an athlete needs to take a substance in order to treat an injury or condition, is it a pretty forward routine, so there's no excuse to not getting it.

4 year bans do sound like a good idea. Second time, it's for life.
1 year ban for missing 3 out of competion tests. International coordination of such tests.

Doping needs to be fought by all means. I don't want ANY kid to be turned away from sports, just because performance enhancing substances becomes a piece of equipment like spikes.

Return to “General Track and Field”