hurdles and pv

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
ALYpolevault
PV Nerd

yup

Unread postby ALYpolevault » Tue May 08, 2007 11:14 am

yeah i run hurdles and polevault. its nice because hurdlers usually have a really nice drive but the biggest problem is hurdlers tend to spread their legs when they vault. thats my biggest problem

rlk11792
PV Beginner

Re: hurdles and pv

Unread postby rlk11792 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:38 pm

txpolevaulter_k25 wrote:i always heard that hurdlers and pv'ers go hand in hand in track

[quute="ALYpolevault"]its nice because hurdlers usually have a really nice drive but the biggest problem is hurdlers tend to spread their legs when they vault. thats my biggest problem[/quote]

My pv coach told me today that next year, he wants to turn the 4 of us (girl vaulters) into hurdlers :P
Most vaulters could probably have some hurdling potential, just because a lot of important aspects in each are shared...speed, coordination, strength, etc.
One of the guy hurdlers joined us in the middle of the season, and he was pretty strong so he could get a decent height considering how long he'd been doing it, but in the beginning, his form was absolutely awful...his legs would literally be flailing the whole time he's in the air, and I think he even landed outside of the pit once because his form was absolutely insane. It was pretty funny to watch actually, but he's corrected all those problems :P

Marengo139
PV Beginner

Unread postby Marengo139 » Sun May 20, 2007 6:51 pm

I do the 300 Hurdles in low 42's high 41's and vault 14'

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Sun May 20, 2007 9:05 pm

I actually incorporate hurdles into our pole vault training. It is a great way to work on consistent stride length for the approach and attacking the plant. Consequently, most of the vaulters I coach also run the hurdles now.
What did you do to get better today?

Marengo139
PV Beginner

Unread postby Marengo139 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:17 pm

The only problem with it is that even though it does make the runner have a consistent stride, the stride for the hurdles (300's st least) are very long. Our coach always tells us to have somewhat short strides in our run up so it is almost a bad habit if used too much.

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Thu May 24, 2007 4:07 pm

Not necessarily. Stride length is directly related to proper running form and speed. someone with correct posture and more speed, will have a longer stride than someone taller. Longer strides with poor posture and a foot strike in front of the body is slower. YOu should concentrate on striking underneath or just in front of the hip. this will result is a faster turnover, more power generated thru the ground resulting in a faster more efficient run and eventually a faster longer stride pattern
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

Return to “General Track and Field”