Gatlin, banned from track, works out for Texans

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
MightyMouse
PV Follower

Gatlin, banned from track, works out for Texans

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:13 pm

Interesting :yes: :no:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... LHeadlines

The Houston Texans worked out the world's fastest man, Justin Gatlin, on Tuesday but that doesn't mean he's making a fast entrance into the NFL.

The Texans didn't make a big deal out of the Tuesday visit. They looked at Gatlin like they did with two other receivers -- Kevin McMahan of Maine and Jovan Witherspoon of Central Michigan. NFL teams usually bring in players for Tuesday workouts while the 53 players on the regular roster take a day off.

The only difference in this workout was the name recognition of Gatlin, the 100-meter gold medal winner in the 2004 Summer Olympics. Gatlin holds the world record for running the 100 meters in 9.76 seconds.

In April, he tested positive for the banned substance testosterone and accepted an eight-year ban from track and field.

Though the Texans wouldn't be willing to sign him for this season, they are one of the first NFL teams to look at him for future contracts, which teams can start signing in late December.

The reason for the slow reaction by NFL teams to Gatlin's availability is his lack of football experience. At the University of Tennessee he ran track instead of playing football. He hadn't played football since 10th grade.

Still, he's an interesting athlete to study. He's 6-foot-1, 180-pounds and only 24 years old. His agent is former track star Renaldo Nehemiah.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
Gatlin Biography
Born: Feb. 10, 1982, in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Starts off as hurdler at high school and goes on to win six NCAA sprint titles.

2003: Wins U.S. and world indoor 60 meters titles.

2004: Wins Athens Olympics 100 meters gold medal in 9.85 seconds, one-hundredth of a second ahead of Portugal's Francis Obikwelu; finishes third in the 200.

2005: Wins world 100 title in Helsinki, Finland, in 9.88 seconds by the biggest margin (0.17) in the history of the championships; leads U.S. clean sweep in the 200, winning in 20.04 to become only the second man after compatriot Maurice Greene to complete the double.

2006: Runs 9.76-second 100 meters in Doha, Qatar, to shave 0.01 off Jamaican Asafa Powell's world record, but later has to share record because of timing error.

2006: Admits to failed test for testosterone at race in Kansas City. Avoids lifetime ban from track and field by accepting eight-year ban and agreeing to cooperate with doping officials.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:21 pm

At this point, he can probably make more money in the NFL (if he could make a team). I say he should go for it.

SKOT
PV Pro

Re: Gatlin, banned from track, works out for Texans

Unread postby SKOT » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:30 pm

MightyMouse wrote:In April, he tested positive for the banned substance testosterone and accepted an eight-year ban from track and field.

Did Gatlin actually accept the 8 year ban? I thought he was appealing it.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:57 am

I sorta want to see him get wrecked on a kick return...
19 Years Old

Coach: Val Osipenko

"Hard work never goes to waste"

Petrov/Launder student

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 am

MightyMouse wrote:I sorta want to see him get wrecked on a kick return...

or get toasted by roy williams heh.

mitchg
PV Beginner

Unread postby mitchg » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:55 pm

I hope he does really well, I think it would give track and field more respect. Respect as far as the talent and athletes involved in pro track. Some think track is the dirtiest sport but most people don't realize that track test more than any other sport. Why don't they test and enforce as strictly in other professional sports? B/c teams wouldn’t be able to fill rosters. I think track is really clean compared to other pro sports and that b/c of the strict testing system.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:23 pm

The San Diego Chargers LB (i think) sean merriman... perfect example

he gets caught using illegal growth hormones....

what happens?- 4 GAME SUSPENSION!!! a Track athelte gets caught... ban for life (although it was a 2nd offense) but still only a slap on the wrist in the NFL compared to a much more harsh 'sentence' for track and field athletes...

that is very frustrating...
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:29 pm

The problem with the drug policies in major US sports is that they don't follow WADA's list of banned substances. The lists they use are much smaller and less up to date. Along with pathetically weak penalties, the leagues effectively encouraging players to use steroids! Its time that the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and MLS turned over their testing/penalizing over to USADA!

Return to “General Track and Field”