Isinbayeva Russian tabloid interview

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Isinbayeva Russian tabloid interview

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:26 pm

I'm currently "in the process" of learning Russian. I'm nowhere near fluent at either speaking or reading it, but I'm getting better. Anyway, one thing that I do sometimes to amuse myself is to visit Russian news websites and sound out the headlines. When I find something interesting, I'll run it through one of the free online translators (e.g. http://www.worldlingo.com/en/websites/u ... lator.html) and then go through it with a Russian/English dictionary to fix the parts that are badly botched. When the article contains mostly dry facts, this is pretty easy, but when it contains a lot of idiomatic verbage, it can get tricky. Sometimes I can know the definition of every word in a sentence and still have no clue what it's supposed to mean.

Anyhow, I found the following article on the "Komsomol Pravda" website (http://www.kp.ru/daily/23578/44402/) and thought some of the folks here might find it interesting. I've cleaned up some of the phrasing, but it's still pretty stilted due to the different word order commonly used in Russian. In a couple of places I've inserted an alternative word or phrase in brackets, when I wasn't sure what had actually been said. It's certainly possible that I've mis-translated something, so take it all with a grain o' salt.

BTW, "KP" is something of a supermarket tabloid along the lines of the National Enquirer, so don't be looking for technical vaulting tips here. I'd also encourage you to take a quick look at the linked article above, just for the amusing photo of Tatiana Lebedeva flipping off the photographer.

========================================

Olympic champion Yelena ISINBAYEVA: I obtain for the world record 50 thousand dollars

Russian polevaulter is newly acknowledged best light-athlete of the world. With the editorial staff of "KP" the sportswoman conversed.

- Lena, in the sector for the leaps you always recently alone as a finger. There are no rivals, there is no fight. You play and win it in yourself. Not difficult psychologically?

- I am already accustomed to this. Although for me each time it is more difficult to begin, because I start later than everyone else. Sometimes I am nervous. Because weather can be bad or yet anything may occur unforeseen. Therefore, it turns out, I every time risk.

- When watching your leaps on the television set, is created impression that you are more adult, bigger, taller, stronger. We in the "Komsomolkye" have Alina Kabayeva, Sveta Khorkina. We saw you. It seemed to me that you are a gymnast. Fragile...

- As I "jumped" from gymnastics. Simply a great move. I myself did not know that I will hit so sharply. I began to rapidly grow, that for gymnast - failure. Trainer advised, even he persuaded, to pass into the sector for the leaps. At that time - new form for the women. It was pleasing to me. Evidently fate.

- Tanya Lebedeva, with which you together in the "Komsomolkye" obtained the orders "Sport Glory of Russia" [see http://www.kp.ru/daily/23575.4/44191/], she won in the "golden league" a million dollars. She won six starts in the triple leap. You established nine world records only for the season. Excuse the indiscreet question: could you earn this sum, obtaining prize?

- Well why not! For the record I usually obtain 50 thousand dollars, return taxes - to that country where the record took place. But Tanya, of course, today main bargaining chip of our track and field sports - to win this prize it was little for whom possible!

- Usually, establishing record, you raise the lath only by one centimeter, although you could, judging by everything, "take a step" further. What is this - mercantile, the possibility to obtain good prize for each new record?

- Once Sergey Bubka, just as I, established his records "plus one", he said that he does so not for the new prize. At each stadium the people await a miracle. And each record - this and risk, and luck, and creation itself. Let everywhere they look and think, to what extent the reserves concealed in the man are great, what will he be able and how much still in front. I agree with Bubka.

- To you, Lena, "accumulated" already 18 world records. Sergey Bubka in his time established 36...

- And he said that I am obligated to surpass it, will establish 37 or more. Humanity must grow.

- He is not offended?

- On the contrary, he now for me is a fan... I think that he simply in me sees himself, because in many respects, especially in the sector for the leaps, we are similar. He perhaps as anew was borne in my appearance.

- For you is complex - for the technical reasons - form. How many poles usually do you bring with yourself to the competitions?

- Seven.

- So porter must be...

- Trainer, Yevgeny Vasilyevich, "weapons-bearer". They are not heavy in reality. Now so it is generally easier. Earlier they 30 kilograms weighed, now packing - 20 kg.

- Your fans do not hang about [them]?

- No, they anywhere will not get in!

- Small souvenir from record breaker...

- Clothing they request, cap, pin from the head - this yes, but pole - no. Even they touch it only by authorization.

- Recently rumor passed, that about you is planned the novel. By the way, your Igor Alekseyev jumps higher than you by 64 centimeters!

- We are friends. Igor represents Belorussia, and is trained and lives as I, in Volgograd... But I do not want to speak about the personal life.

- People indeed this most of all interests...

- Yes, personal life and money, I know. I will not speak about this, I will wait all rest. When I prepare to marry, I think you will be the first to learn. But I am not disposed for the next ten years.

- Ten years?

- It is agreeable, maybe, seven. It is simple in the sport - mainly - it is desirable to stay longer and to conquer so that the problems everyday would not concern me. But that, I fear, I will not maintain: to prepare, to remove, to erase. No, I will not maintain.

- And who for you are supporters?

- For me are supporters all, who I love at home, parents, friends. I have many friends.

- And now where are your parents?

- At home, in Volgograd. I have an apartment in Volgograd, which I purchased, but there thus far occurs repair. When they are made, I will move.

- A good apartment?

- Not bad.

- And to Moscow for you it is desirable to move?

- There is something and here... But thus far I will not reveal my plans, you against this later learn. Project is located.

- You often attend secular functions, presentations. Where, Lena, do you dress or who dresses you?

- I know how to do this myself. For the especially solemn cases I acquire clothing in Monaco.

- And in Russia do you buy?

- Yes, but in order to say that I dress [shop for clothing] in some boutique so-and-so, no. I buy the clothing which pleases me, which suits me. Diverse.

- And diamonds? Many times already to you given diamonds at the competitions as prize... For these stones is necessary something special.

- I have them. But I love to dress youthfully. There can be one or two pebbles. So that it would be very modest. Although today I already can be called brilliant. [She’s making a pun here – "diamond" in Russian is "brilyant" – BF]

- And what you have machine in Volgograd?

- BMW X-3, this which I purchased myself. But in winter to me "Peugeot 607â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:19 pm

Wow that was AWESOME. Thanks Bruce!

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Yelena Isinbayeva ... Biker Chick!

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:53 pm

- You love fast driving?

- Yes!

- And here if you had established your new world record at the matched encounter Russia-USA in Moscow, you could have obtained a splendid motorcycle as the gift.

- Definitely, but nevertheless it will be better for me to remain among the living. Motorcycle was very good, in the stadium I had a ride, as the second passenger. In truth, too powerful.

A whole bunch of new photos from the Moscow meet were just posted to the SportFoto.ru site (http://www.sportfoto.ru/persons.php?pagephoto=1&person=8&page=1&&char=?), so I thought I'd post these.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”