Commonwealth Games Men's Results

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
RPVA03
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School and College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach

Commonwealth Games Men's Results

Unread postby RPVA03 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:15 pm

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: Commonwealth Games Men's Results

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:23 am

Winning jump was 5.55m? I remember watching Jeff Hartwig win that meet with 6.01m. Must have been some bad weather at this meet.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:40 am

In your dreams Morrie - the USA left the British Empire in the late 18th Century so Jeff would not have been eligible to compete in these games which is for countries that were formerly members of that Empire. Of course you could always try to rejoin. :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:37 pm

My mistake, Alan. It was the Goodwill Games. You're correct, as expected with your plethora of historical knowledge. I'm still wondering why you can't spell my name correctly after all of these years. It's Morry! No "ie". Regardless of the history and spelling errors, it seems like a pretty weak performance. Don't you think?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:28 am

Absolutely MORRY -with apologies = never could get used to American names! Standards in the Commonwealth are very poor at the moment - not sure if they will get better any time soon. The Brits are the most disappointing, for with the levels of support they have, indoor facilities all over the place and great competition possibilities they should be leading the way but their national record is only 5.83. In OZ we are going to struggle because we suffer on all counts. I think we are doing a gpod job with juniors but with no college system to help carry them through to the next level it is difficult. I have come ut of retirement to try to influence the system but with only around ten coaches in the country again it is tough - but distance is the real killer here with few real competition opportunities for the better athletes unless they have personal money for travel.

The women;s comp in Glasgow was held through showers of heavy rain . only four or five girls cleared a height. Alana Boyd jumped 4.50 off 12 steps = took three attempts to clear 4.15 in heavy rain. A gutsy effort. However the best ranking girl in the Cwealth Holly Bleasdale was out injured.

In the end we may have to wait for the African, West Indian countries or India to start producing vaulters. Would have been interesting to see Bolt try the vault!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dbarrero
PV Beginner
Expertise: HS Coach
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Raphael Holzdeppe

Unread postby dbarrero » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:42 am

Return to “Pole Vault - International”