Paul Burgess 5.91

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Paul Burgess 5.91

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:35 pm

5:30:01 decamouse@hotmail.com: News Flash
Paul Burgess jumped 5.91 on Saturday in Perth, Australia.
Just missed 6.00m.
He was on Pacer Carbon 500/11.6 with 490 grip. This means he pushed 1.21. Huge.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:49 pm

NOOOOO!!!!!! That means that Simon Arkell is no longer the "native" Aussie recordholder. In true Aussie fashion we should all drink heavily tonight, punch a cop, and deficate in our pants in sorrow.

Congrats to Paul though. Finally living up to his potential after being a near 18' high schooler.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:59 am

http://au.news.yahoo.com/050115/21/slpb.html

Pole vault record falls

West Australian Paul Burgess broke the Australian all-comers pole vault record at an athletics meet in Perth on Saturday.

Burgess cleared 5.91 metres to break the previous record, set by several athletes at the Sydney Olympics, by one centimetre.

The Australian all-comers record is the highest vault by an Australian or international athlete in this country.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:18 pm

http://thewest.com.au/20050117/sport/tw ... 30260.html

Record lifts Burgess into elite class

EMMA GEORGE

Paul Burgess put on the best pole vault display ever seen in Australia as he sailed over 5.91m, setting an Australian all-comers record at Perry Lakes on Saturday.

After clearing heights of 5.80m in training, Burgess knew he was ready for a big jump but never expected to set a 14cm personal best in one day.

"It was the biggest thrill of my life," Burgess said.

"I still can't get my head around the fact I am a 5.91m jumper.

"It is so hard at that level to do a 14cm pb (personal best) and to do that bigger pb in one day was just the best feeling. I dreamt of doing something like that, but at this level it was amazing."

After easily clearing 5.80m on his second attempt during the interclub meeting, Burgess maintained the plan he set with coach Alex Parnov, raising the bar to the all-comers record - 1cm higher than Nick Hysong's gold medal vault at the Sydney Olympics.

In warm conditions with the Fremantle Doctor at his back, Burgess picked up a new pole, the biggest one he has ever used.

Two close attempts gave him the confidence that 5.91m was possible and on his final jump, Burgess cleared the bar with room to spare.

Raising his arms triumphantly and after a quick hug from Parnov, it was back to business and Burgess again raised the bar, this time to the elite 6m mark.

Despite tired legs and mental and physical fatigue, he was determined to have one good jump after not being able to take off during his first two attempts.

Down to his last vault, Burgess propelled himself skyward, gaining hip clearance over the bar, only to dislodge it with his chest on the way down.

Burgess is looking forward to vaulting next Saturday in the Telstra A-Series meet at Perry Lakes.

pvkellie
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former professional pole vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4

whats up

Unread postby pvkellie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:03 am

couldn't happen to a better guy!!!! :yes:

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:46 pm

Paul Burgess wrote:"I still can't get my head around the fact I am a 5.91m jumper.

No offense to Paul, as 5.91m is an awesome jump, but my PV coach in HS told me this after my first 16' jump: "The first time you do it, its luck. You're not a REAL 16 footer until you can do it again" ;)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:49 pm

So are you saying that Toby and Tim aren't 6m jumpers?
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:30 pm

They've both jumped 6m, so they can say that they've both made that height. What I'm saying is that the first time you hit a certain milestone, be it 6m, 18', whatever, that its a product of luck, as in you were lucky enough to pull off an awesome jump to clear that height for the first time. Your training and conditioning set you up to be in a position to be making those attempts, so I'm not taking away from their accomplishments. The trick is to be able to pull off that "lucky" jump again. Once you can clear that hieght again, its no longer luck that's getting you over that height, but skill and consistency.

just my opinion ;)

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:39 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:They've both jumped 6m, so they can say that they've both made that height. What I'm saying is that the first time you hit a certain milestone, be it 6m, 18', whatever, that its a product of luck, as in you were lucky enough to pull off an awesome jump to clear that height for the first time. Your training and conditioning set you up to be in a position to be making those attempts, so I'm not taking away from their accomplishments. The trick is to be able to pull off that "lucky" jump again. Once you can clear that hieght again, its no longer luck that's getting you over that height, but skill and consistency.

just my opinion ;)

ive heard stuff like this before, but this doesnt seem to make that much sense to me. for my purposes clearing a height once is more than luck, but clearing a height a second time is far from consistency

ashcraftpv
That one guy

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:17 pm

all right, now i'm going to have to get all philosophical and stuff......

there really is no such thing as "luck". Its an abstract idea that there is some mystic force that determines whether or not something favorable will happen to you or not. I view it as the perception that at a particular moment, you did something correctly or some condition was favorable to put you on the good side of the probability ratio.

Lets say you jump 6m for the first time. It was because you put together a great jump or had favorable conditions that allowed to make it at that particular moment. If you never jump that high again, you were "lucky" (in loose terms) to have jumped that high. If you can repeat the feat, then it becomes a matter of skill and not luck.

Its just like those retarded carnival games at the fairs and amusement parks. If you win the little stuffed dog for your girl, but can't do it again, then its luck that you won it. You just so happened to spin the softball off of the board into the bastket the right way or had a well timed gust of wind keep your ball from bouncing out. If you can win the 4 more times it takes to get the oversized stuffed dog (which you look like a dork carrying around the rest of time), then you have skill at that game and can reproduce your desired result. I don't see this as any different.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:17 pm

I will have to agree with ashcraft. I'm sure we all have that one competitor that we jumped against that just PR'ed one day like crazy and beat you. Your first thought is, " i should have beat that guy, he just had ONE good day." Then he\she goes off to never vault that height again, so the universe lined up for them that one day and they jumped out of their mind. That does not make them a consistent jumper at that height. you could always say " they were an "x" height jumper but one day PR'ed at "Y" height"...............A PR does not make you a "PR" jumper.....A consistent jumper at that "y" height makes you a "y" vaulter.....

once again, just my opinion.....
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

mowad1
PV Whiz

Unread postby mowad1 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:53 pm

He is on a real roll. This was most recent.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 18,00.html

POLE vaulter Paul Burgess set a meet record and put himself in line for world championship qualification with an impressive display at the season-opening Telstra A series event in Perth tonight.

Burgess cleared 5.80m, well inside the A qualifying mark of 5.75m for the upcoming world championships, to be held in Helsinki, Finland in August.

The 25-year-old, who set an Australian all-comers record of 5.91m at a club event in Perth last week, smashed the old A series meet record tonight.

Burgess set the crowd alight when he passed 5.80m, surpassing the old meet record of 5.70m held by himself and Victor Chistiakov.

The Western Australian then moved the bar to 5.95m, but failed in all three attempts.

Burgess still finished comfortably ahead of Steve Hooker (5.60m) and former world champion Dmitri Markov (5.45m).

"I did a good jump last week and I'm just glad to back up in front of a crowd," Burgess said.

"I felt a little bit of pressure during the week after doing a big jump the week before, so I'm glad I backed up."

Burgess was unhappy at his inability to leap 5.95m, but knows it will come sooner rather than later.

"I feel like it's there," he said.

"I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't have a better go at it.

"I felt like a couple of attempts were reasonably good and I definitely know that I can do it."

Return to “Pole Vault - International”