Isinbayeva is Russia's Athlete of the Year

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Isinbayeva is Russia's Athlete of the Year

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:38 pm

http://www.tehrantimes.com/Description. ... at=6&Num=6

Isinbayeva honored as Russia's Athlete of the Year

MOSCOW (Reuters) -- Olympic pole vault champion and world record holder Yelena Isinbayeva was honored as Russia's Athlete of the Year on Wednesday.

"Undoubtedly Yelena has been the most consistent performer this year," president of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) Leonid Tyagachyov said.

The Russian has dominated the women's pole vault for the last 12 months, setting eight indoor and outdoor world records, including the 4.91-meter mark she cleared on her way to capturing the Olympic gold medal in Athens.

She increased the mark to 4.92 meters in Brussels in September.

Isinbayeva was also named as International Association of Athletics Federations' (IAAF) female athlete of the year. Asked if she considered herself the world's best athlete this year, the 22-year-old said: "Who else can it be? I've been the most consistent the whole year, besides I've been voted number one on almost every poll there is, so make up your own mind who was the best, but in my mind I have no doubts."

Isinbayeva plans to compete in all the major championships next year.

"I've set several world records, won the Olympic gold and the world indoor championship, but there are still many other mountains for me to climb," she said.

"I haven't won the outdoor world title yet and there is a European indoor championship next year and of course there is that magic five-meter barrier that everyone is aiming for," she added.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”