Averbukh wins Maccabiah Games

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Averbukh wins Maccabiah Games

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:18 pm

http://www.jpost.com/Sports/Ageless-Ave ... old-320963

Ageless Averbukh takes pole gold By ALLON SINAI07/24/2013 23:50

Alex Averbukh won his second Maccabiah gold medal on Wednesday evening four years after retiring.

Lev Skorish at the Maccabiah pole-vault finals. Photo: (Tibor Yeger) Four years after retiring, Alex Averbukh won his second Maccabiah gold medal on Wednesday evening, finishing first in the pole vault competition at Hadar Yosef with a jump of 5.15 meters.

The 38-year-old two-time European pole vault champion officially ended his illustrious career after the 18th Maccabiah in 2009, but decided to come out of retirement for one last event so that his little girl could see him compete.

Not only did she see her father jump on Wednesday, but she also saw him win, 12 years after he claimed his first gold medal at the Jewish Olympics.

Averbukh, who was crowned European Champion twice in a row in 2002 and 2006, and won silver and bronze medals at the World Championships in 2001 and 1999 respectively, beat his young protegee Lev Skorish, who could only clear 5.00m.

The 19-year-old Skorish won the bronze medal at the IAAF World Youth Championships in Donetsk, Ukraine last week with a personal best jump of 5.10m.

“It was fun jumping against an athlete I coach,” said Averbukh.

“Now I’ll go back to nurturing him because he has potential.”

Return to “Pole Vault - International”