Isinbayeva says future hinges on Moscow

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Isinbayeva says future hinges on Moscow

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:09 pm

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp? ... sec=sports

Pole vault queen Yelena says her future hinges on Moscow

SHANGHAI: Russian pole-vault queen Yelena Isinbayeva said yesterday she was keen to claim her third Olympic gold but may quit if she flops at this year’s Moscow world championships this year.

Isinbayeva, the Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 Olympic champion who finished third at last year’s London Games, told reporters in Shanghai that “everything will depend” on her performance on home soil in August.

“About my retirement, it is going to be a difficult decision, and you know it is difficult to say right now what I am going to do after the world championships in Moscow. It will depend on my performance there,” she said.

“I still would like to have my third gold medal. If I would have done it in London, for sure I could stop after Moscow. But for the moment I don’t know,” Isinbayeva added, ahead of today’s Diamond League meet. “I am just thinking what to do. Everything will depend on the Moscow world championships.”

Last week, former Soviet pole-vault great Sergei Bubka predicted that the world record-holder will end her career in Moscow, rather than the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

Isinbayeva, 30, had planned to retire after London, but she extended her career after she failed to become the first woman in history to win three successive Olympic crowns.

Although Isinbayeva has set 30 world records, indoors and outdoors, she took only bronze at last year’s London Olympics and failed to win a medal at either of the last two world championships. — AFP

Return to “Pole Vault - International”