Silva 4.81 at Cuban Nationals (March)

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
canag
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 430
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Silva 4.81 at Cuban Nationals (March)

Unread postby canag » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 am

I know this is old news, but some people like me might have missed it, and this performance is still the WL:

(from IAAF's website)

London 2012 Olympic Games Pole Vault silver medallist Yarisley Silva cleared a Central American and Caribbean record of 4.81m and javelin thrower Guillermo Martinez had an outstanding effort of 85.59m to provide the highlights of the Cuban National Championships when ended on Sunday (17).
After an initial failure at the opening height of 4.50m, Silva then cleared 4.61m and 4.81m in quick succession to break her Area record of 4.78m, set a month earlier indoors in Stockholm. She then tried 4.90m unsuccessfully.
“I am surprised as my aim was just to stay consistent. However, this is a height for which I have been training for a long time,” said Silva.
“It was not my best day. I am still a bit tired from an intense indoor season, but it was important to compete and do my best in front of my people,” she added.
The 25-year-old will now start a new training period aiming to extend her run-up from 14 to 16 steps and move her grip higher from 4.30m to 4.50m as part of setting her sights even higher.
Her first international meeting this summer is set to be the Samsung Diamond League meeting in New York on 25 May.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”