RIP Pekka Dahlhojd

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

RIP Pekka Dahlhojd

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 pm

Swedish coach Pekka Dahlhojd passed away suddenly last night.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: RIP Pekka Dahlhojd

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:01 am

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:25 am

I have known Pekka since 2008-2009, and have never met someone more committed to pole vault. It is a huge loss to those he impacted on a daily basis, as well as those of us who only met him at meetings or championships or on Facebook. Pekka cared more than most, regardless of anything.
He will be remembered.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 pm

A good man. He recently had a birthday. A tremendous loss to our pole vault community. He always made my vaulters feel at home while in Sweden.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Pekka was a great man and will be missed. Both times I went to train and compete in Sweden he was there to help with a place to train, a place to stay for next-to-nothing, rides to and from the airport, pole transport etc... I was talking to a friend last night who also knew him and we traded stories of him helping anyone he could find that needed him, and spending countless hours by the PV Pits coaching and mentoring young pole vaulters at Friidrottens Hus in Gothenburg. Several of them had broken home lives and Pekka served as a parental figure for them day after day.

To share one example of what kind of man Pekka was, I once found a spray glue that I really liked but was only made in Sweden. I contacted Pekka to ask if I could get it somewhere, and he said "don't worry", and purchased an entire case and sent it to me. It so happened that the Swedish Post Office didn't like the aeresol in the package, and bounced it back to him. He tried three more times in different packages to hide the aeresol, despite me telling him it was fine and not to worry about it. He was always there for anyone who needed help, and his presence will be sorely missed in the global PV community.

I miss him and his smile. Gone but not forgotten. RIP Pekka.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Return to “Pole Vault - International”