Brussels WPV - Spiegelburg 4.75, Overal DL winner!

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
KLocke
PV Whiz

Re: Brussels WPV - Spiegelburg 4.75, Overal DL winner!

Unread postby KLocke » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:21 pm

Jenn #1. Back to back #1. Already ranked #1 2011 without winning a medal. Ain't gonna change. She's met all criteria.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:37 pm

I 100% agree with Karen.... In the meets I was at and Jenn was healthy she was hands down the best vaulter from a height perspective in the field.

My issue is once again with the Governing body of our sport being the IAAF. They say winner of Diamond League is World's Number 1 ranked athlete.

It will be interesting when the final All-Athletics rankings come out who is where and than as people mentioned TrackandFieldNews.

There is basically 3 World #1 Ranked athletes. It's Like College Football of the Old.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Don't fret. At the end of the day, it's all about $. The Gold medalist will cash in. And silver, bonze, DL winner pale in comparison. With respect to women's pole vault, she is the only current global "Must Have". Sure, you can contest an event without her. However, she jumps high and doesn't F--k around by showing up not prepared. Jenn is the most interesting. Much, like Hooker post 2009 Indoor campaign. He was closely atop 6.15 and getting it done.

ADTF Academy wrote:I 100% agree with Karen.... In the meets I was at and Jenn was healthy she was hands down the best vaulter from a height perspective in the field.

My issue is once again with the Governing body of our sport being the IAAF. They say winner of Diamond League is World's Number 1 ranked athlete.

It will be interesting when the final All-Athletics rankings come out who is where and than as people mentioned TrackandFieldNews.

There is basically 3 World #1 Ranked athletes. It's Like College Football of the Old.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:41 am

sums up the sport in a nutshell

hardflex
PV Whiz

Unread postby hardflex » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:30 am

What 'sums up the sport in a nutshell' is that you can count the number of times the top women, specifically Jenn and Isi, cleared a bar in a major meet this year on your two hands, maybe just one hand. That doesn't do much to spur interest in Track and Pole Vault in General. There should be a minimum number of competitions to win the #1 ranking. Kudos to Speigleberg for jumping well over the whole year in many competitions. If I am choosing I give it to her for that reason alone.

In terms of Star Power and the ability to sell tickets to an event, I think Isinbayeva is still the top draw.

Overall, it was an Olympic Year but pretty lackluster from a fan's standpoint. The lone highlights is the Olympic Games Men's Final and the year Lavillinie had.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 am

I don't know if that's a valid criticism of Jenn this year. Jenn won 9 meets this year, and NH'd in 2. They were all fairly major events except for the Gill Factory Vault. That's a pretty good season for someone who got a major injury halfway through it and seems to always be fighting other nagging injuries.

hardflex
PV Whiz

Unread postby hardflex » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:22 am

If she did I missed them. Is that including indoors?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:26 am

hardflex wrote:If she did I missed them. Is that including indoors?

Yes, that includes indoors. She had a solid indoor season. Even if she had been healthier, I don't think they would have gone to Europe before USAs. The biggest meet she missed with the injury was the NY DL meet, not sure if she would have done Pre or not.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:12 pm

She's expensive. She stood up an entire DL season contract. I believe that was 2012? No showing is not a draw. That being said. We expect alot of her. Her last outdoor world record was 2009, Zurich after championship failure.

hardflex wrote:
In terms of Star Power and the ability to sell tickets to an event, I think Isinbayeva is still the top draw.

Overall, it was an Olympic Year but pretty lackluster from a fan's standpoint. The lone highlights is the Olympic Games Men's Final and the year Lavillinie had.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”